• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help?

outsidemike

Reaction score
Ok where to start... well I'll be blunt I'm fashionably marsupialed. Im 36 and can't tie a tie, I Recently changed from blue/no collar work, to office work. I'm getting razzed at work for clip on ties,and not being Being able to tell formal from informal, from casual, it All looks the same to me. Figured a pair of pants and a shirt was a pair of pants and a shirt. I have one brown sport jacket that is about 7 ywars old. And apparently doc marten ankle boots don't count as apropriate office footware.

The other problem is I can't find clothes that fit. Jacket size is a 48 short, then trim another 4" of the sleeve length, and the jacket will wind up hanging to low . Any matched suits seem to have size 40+ pants, and I'm a size 32. If I get a shirt for my neck size, they're baggy in the body and the arms are a foot too long, plus the shoulders may still be too tight. Pants that fit my waist often don't fit my thigh thicknes either

im an athletic 5'7 235 lb. ive pretty much just worn sweats and T-shirts since I was teenager in the mid 90s. Where do I even start?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok where to start... well I'll be blunt I'm fashionably marsupialed. Im 36 and can't tie a tie, I Recently changed from blue/no collar work, to office work. I'm getting razzed at work for clip on ties,and not being Being able to tell formal from informal, from casual, it All looks the same to me. Figured a pair of pants and a shirt was a pair of pants and a shirt. I have one brown sport jacket that is about 7 ywars old. And apparently doc marten ankle boots don't count as apropriate office footware.

The other problem is I can't find clothes that fit. Jacket size is a 48 short, then trim another 4" of the sleeve length, and the jacket will wind up hanging to low . Any matched suits seem to have size 40+ pants, and I'm a size 32. If I get a shirt for my neck size, they're baggy in the body and the arms are a foot too long, plus the shoulders may still be too tight. Pants that fit my waist often don't fit my thigh thicknes either

im an athletic 5'7 235 lb. ive pretty much just worn sweats and T-shirts since I was teenager in the mid 90s. Where do I even start?

So you're a drop 16? Your chest is 16" bigger than your waist? If so, it's no wonder off the rack clothing does not fit you.

First off, what is your office dress code...what are you expected to wear? Learning how to tie a tie is pretty simple, just watch a Youtube video or find a tutorial here on the forum....start with a double four in hand or a half windsor. Other than that, I'm not sure where you should start until I know the office environment.

outsidemike

Reaction score
I'm supposed to maintain business casual, but I'm still working out what that is exactly. I assumed casual was cackies and and golf shirt.

I'm outside sales/tech support. Im Only really in the office 1/4 of my working time, but they want me to maintain appearances outside the office for customers.

Stepping up my appearance was a condition of employment for transitioning from shop floor to sales/service. So far I'm a duck out of water.

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Typically in a business casual environment you can get by with a button-front shirt and khakis just about every day and maybe a polo shirt on warm Fridays. What are your co-workers wearing? Do they wear suits and ties?
If a jacket is required, I would consider a sports coat or a blazer because of your proportions. No reputable off the rack suit will fit you.
As far as shoes are concerned I would recommend starting with Allen Edmonds seconds at the very least.

outsidemike

Reaction score
Most of the guys in office are shirt and tie, . Jackets are not required in our office, however they're common when working outside at clients place of businesses.

Anyways what makes a shirt casual, formal or dress?.ditto for pants.....and isn't a sport coat and blazer the same thing?

Alpha11

Reaction score
Q: What makes a shirt casual?

A: The fabric, collar, and the plakat.

Q: What makes a pair of trousers casual?

A: The fabric and pattern.

If I were you I would look to your co-workers as to what they wear. Meaing if you see them wearing wool gabardines then I would look to purchase a few pair of those. However, if they are wearing Chinos then buy a few pair of them. Additionally, the same can be said for shirts. Are they wearing button-down collar oxfords or pinpoint forward Point dress shirts? Do your research on how to notice the different kinds of fabric for trousers and dress shirts and make you selection to fit the dress code.

outsidemike

Reaction score
Thanks, but now I have to go Google up gaberdine and chinos. I've never heard thoes words before.

jkccheong

Reaction score
Hello,

I would suggest you to watch Real Men Real Style videos on youtube and/or Alpha M (Aaron Marino)'s videos.

They will tell you all that you need to know.

However, for now, don't wear dress shirts with button on collars. They are known as 'sport shirts'

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score

Thanks, but now I have to go Google up gaberdine and chinos. I've never heard thoes words before.

Sometimes quirks of corporate culture or a boss might steer you in a direction other than what would be recommended here. I have a friend who worked in IT for a large bank who was not allowed to wear pants that did not have pleats, for instance. If I were in your situation I would find someone in your office who dresses in a way you could see yourself dress, and copy his look. Then as you move forward in your career develop your own style and tastes. My shoe recommendation above still stands though - you will want something that's durable, welted (not glued) and made from real leather which can be resoled when the time comes and worn for years. This will be a good foundation from which to start.

The notions of 'casual' and 'formal' varies depending upon work place culture - however in general terms five pocket trousers (think jeans) tend to be seen as casual whereas a chino (rear pockets look like 'slits') are seen as more formal.

As far as shirts go start with easy whites and blues. Without getting into construction details - shirts sized by your neck (for example 15, 15 1/2, 16. . .) are sold with the intent of being worn in more formal settings versus S, M, L, XL shirts when are usually meant to be worn as casual shirts.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads