• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help!

Derrik_Forreal

Reaction score
I hate my wallet. It is bulky and it has started to wear through some of my pants.  I am looking for something small enough to carry in my front pocket, possibly a clip with some slots for a few cards and my ID. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Blue

pstoller

Reaction score
Glenn O'Brien addresses this in the current GQ. Essentially, he recommends splitting the contents of a bulging wallet into a money clip for cash (getting rid of small bills ASAP to avoid bulk) and a card holder for credit cards and the like, as well as a zippered pouch for your keys.

That's fine as far as it goes, but when one also has to tote a checkbook, cellular phone, Palm Pilot and a roll of wintergreen BreathSavers, it's time to break down and buy yourself a "man purse." Since I started "bagging it," my pockets have been blissfully empty, which is more comfortable and more attractive, as well as being better for my pants.

I started with a vintage brown leather military map case, then switched to a black Bally pigskin shoulder bag roughly inspired by bags like my vintage one, but made of much better leather (and with neither the ubiquitous-to-the-point-of-tackiness logo nor ludicrous price tag of a similar Prada model). I guess it's not for everyone, but I have to say that I've gained a new respect for the relationships women forge with their handbags.

aard

Reaction score
I've been using a black front pocket wallet, (I guess that's what it's called?). It has spots for your drivers license, credit cards, etc, plus it has a magnetic (one that doesn't kill your credit cards) money clip on the back. I keep that in one front pocket, and like pstoller, I have a messenger bag now (banana republic has some nice ones) that I keep my school books, PDA, cell phone, etc in. Link to money clip similar to mine here. Neither of them were to expensive because I'm just a poor college kid, but I like them. Aaron

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always thought that clutch bags were pretty useful. Even though I've always said that just like women, men should get something small to carry their stuff in too, I don't think I could deal with the ridicule I'd certainly encouter carrying one. You're older with more mature friends though so it's probably not a problem for you.

"It's not a purse. It's a european carrying bag." That was a great episode of seinfeld heh.

ulf

Reaction score
"It's not a purse. It's a european carrying bag." That was a great episode of seinfeld heh.
Heh. The clutch type of bag with the wrist strap is generally mailgned all over Europe (and the rest of the world) as far as I know. They don't look good, ever, for men or women. (They're sometimes ridiculingly referred to as "gay slings".)

I've noticed that some really tasteless, tacky stuff is sometimes sold and advertised as "European" in the US. Case in point being Appreciation(y) underwear for men and "gay slings". Yuck. I know very few gays who'd stoop to using these products. G-strings on men? No. No. No.

Joe G

Reaction score
I've always thought that clutch bags were pretty useful.
The problem with clutches is that it's oh-so-easy to leave it somewhere. I like my bag firmly affixed to me. And I can't say I've ever seen a European man who wasn't probably a veteran of the second world war carrying one.

My bag of choice, as I've previously mentioned here, is an Austrian Bundesheer-issue map-case in a thick and durable if rather unyielding leather, dyed olive drab. It works well for what I need to carry, and as far as durability will probably outlast my grandkids.

The only thing in my pocket is my cell, because it doesn't ring particularly loudly and the vibration mode is nice and strong. When I go out and don't want the bag. My cell, a Siemens S40, has borderline acceptable organiser functions, and I can sync it to my Palm and Outlook, so when I go out and want to go light I usually just take it and a plastic credit-card sheath and put a few bills, credit card, and transport stuff (monthly pass or d/l) in it. A nice moneyclip would be more elegant, but I have one floating around somewhere and don't want to buy another until I find it....

Peace,

JG

pstoller

Reaction score
I've always thought that clutch bags were pretty useful. Even though I've always said that just like women, men should get something small to carry their stuff in too, I don't think I could deal with the ridicule I'd certainly encouter carrying one. You're older with more mature friends though so it's probably not a problem for you.
Well, like Joe, I don't use a clutch; it's a map case-style shoulder bag. I concur with Joe that it's too easy to leave a clutch lying somewhere. I also like the shoulder strap because, for me, the point is having someplace to carry my stuff besides my hands or my pockets. A bag that I have to carry in my hand defeats the purpose. If I'm also avoiding ridicule, great, but that's not something I really care too much about.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads