• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

[Help] Wool Trousers to Replace Raw Denim for Business Casual?

Bms259

Reaction score
Would wool trousers be a good business casual replacement for raw denim?

If so, where should I look to pick up a pair? Right now I have my eye on Land’s End Year Rounder in slim fit, but I'm not sure they are what I'm looking for.

Budget is $100 (preferably less, but if I have to save for me, I will).

Some context: I’m a bit of a minimalist. I like to be well dressed but don’t feel the need to be fashionable. I feel & look best in a tapered pair of dark raw denim, a simple white, grey, or blue OCBD, and a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile boots or dressier chukka boots. In the winter I’ll add a sweater, and when I need some more class without being overly formal, I'll add a simple sport coat. It’s simple, but it works really well for me. I wear it for work 85% of the time. I love the versatility, texture, and look of a good pair of dark jeans, couplde with a texture and style of an OCBD.

However there are a few times when jeans aren’t appropriate for my work. I don't need to formality or want the formality of a suit, but jeans aren't appropriate. And this is where I struggle to find something that looks good and I feel good wearing.

For 15 years I’ve been wearing different variations, fits, and colors of Dockers or similar khaki chinos, and they’ve always just felt...off. Almost like I was wearing someone else's clothes. I have one pair of Alpha Khakis in a darker brown that are ok.

This is where I think a pair of wool trousers in a heavier weight may come into to play. I’m thinking that a pair of charcoal and navy could easily swap in for my jeans. They are simple, dark, and have some texture. I think maybe they’ll pair well with an OCBD, a sport coat, and chukka boots for a solid but simple business casual look.

But I'm not sure. I don't know if the look would be ok, and I don't know where to find the trousers either.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Marshdrifter

Reaction score
I'd say yes, although I'm not sure that they'll work well with the chukkas. They're also not likely to be very heavy, partly because they'll be more like suit trousers, but also because we're in the middle of the spring/summer product cycle. Heavy wool pants are for winter.

I know you said you don't like them, but chinos are the obvious middle ground that would work with at least the chukkas, if not the Wolverines as well. I wear my Red Wing heritage boots with khaki chinos and they work quite well. Another possibility might be some sort of coloured denim. That's still casual, but perhaps still within the boundaries of business casual. That would really depend upon your workplace and the situation where jeans are too casual.

I have no experience with Lands End stuff and really can't comment. If you're on a budget, I'd recommend Spier & MacKay. I've gotten both dress trousers (like the wool ones you're thinking about) as well as some casual chinos, and they're both good value for the money, imo. You could also try JCrew or Brooks Brothers Red Fleece.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wear a pair of dark jeans for extra formality.

palk

Reaction score
Flannel wool is a good fabric for casual business, though it tends to wear warm.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.