• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Workout, Physical Fitness

Mr Thibs

Reaction score
Hi, everyone, so a while back I posted some information regarding starting to lift weights, and progress further in my physical fitness. So basically I need more help, more info, plus I thought I might give you an update.

So as I said in my last thread, I'm 19, 6.2, and weigh on March 4th, 2009 194 lbs. Just to give you a quick background, I started losing weight in November of 2008, when i weighed 246 lbs. So I've made some progress. On Feb 11, I posted on here and got some good information to begin lifting and get introduced to the strength training way of live. Anyways, since about Feb. 17th I have been doing the following workout, with a little bit of variation here and there:

Monday-Wednesday
Chest/Back

Incline Dumbbell Press \t\t\t\t\t\t3X10
Lying Dumbbell Flies \t\t\t\t\t\t3X10
Close Grip Standing Barbell Rows\t\t\t\t\t3X10
Deadlift\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3X10
Squats\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3X8

Tuesday-Thursday
Arm/Legs

Leg Extensions\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3X10
Bicep Dumbbell Curl\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3X8
Lying Tate Presses\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3X8
Side Lateral Raises\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3X8
Standing Calf Raises\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3X10
Dips\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3X10
Bench\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3X10

Everyday

Pushups\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t30
Crunches\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t100
Basketball/Running/Cross Country Skiing

So Ive had good success following this plan for the last 3 weeks, but I want to do a few things. First, I don't think this is a very good plan, it was thrown together quick by me, who knows nothing. I'm at the gym playing basketball, and lifting weights for about 3 hours a day, so time is not an issue. Im literally saying I want the most beneficial program available, regardless of time, or energy used. I know that plan up above is not going to be a great long run plan, it did get me started though, and I now realize that I like working out, and like being in the gym all the time. So with that said I am looking for some help putting together a great workout, that really works on my core, as I am very weak and have a long way to go. See pictures below, haha.

Now on someone elses thread I saw the following workout, that I thought might be something cool to do:

triphse1.jpg

triphse2.jpg

triphse3.jpg

What's your thoughts on that one. Could it be modded to take even longer and workout even more? Or am I going to hurt my muscles, if I keep thinking this way.

Now to end this thread I'm just gonna post my pics real quick, do you see progress? I often find it hard to look at myself and see progress.

Summer of 08
n1220700039_30015208_7437-1.jpg

Feb. 11
MyPicture-2.jpg

March 5th
Photo39-1.jpg

Thanks for any help, by the way.
eh.gif

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do a 5x5 program. Stronglifts or Bill Starr's is good. Light-medium cardio on off days. Walk more whenever you can. Forget about volume for now. More muscle means you'll burn more fat. Eat more vegetables, less starchy carbs. If you can't cut out carbs at least cut out things like rice, pasta and potatoes for 90% of your meals. Take protein and fish oil. Be well.

Mr Thibs

Reaction score
Oh, forgot should have added my diet. It's really good, (I think already), but ill let you be the judge:

DIET PLAN
Breakfast 8-9 AM
Choice of:

2 Egg Omelet w/ choice of Chopped Onions, Mushrooms, Peppers, Veggie Sausage, Fat Free Cheese
2 Fried Eggs in Olive Oil
Kashi Cluster Cereal with Skim Milk
Bowl of Oatmeal w/ sprinkle of cinnamon, skim milk
2 Egg Veggie Sausage Sandwich on 1 Whole Wheat English Muffin, w/ Fat Free Cheese

Snack 11-12 AM
Choice of:

Handful of Almonds
Granny Smith Apple
Serving of Grapes
Serving of Cottage Cheese

Lunch 2:30 PM
Choice of:

Grilled Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast w/ serving of veggies (green beans, spinach, corn, peas)
Grilled Lean Steak cut on Spinach Salad w/ small amount of Sundried Tomato Olive Oil on it
Tuna w/ Honey Mustard on 2 pieces whole wheat bread
Ground Beef Burger no bun, w/ spinach, onion, tomato

Snack 5 PM
Choice of:

Handful of Almonds
Serving of Grapes
Serving of Yogurt w/ Frozen strawberries

Dinner 8:30 PM
Choice of:

Grilled Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast w/ veggies
Grilled Steak w/ veggies
Grilled Salmon w/ veggies
Baked Haddock w/ veggies
Ground Beef Burger no bun, w/ spinach, onion, tomato

Snack 10:30
Choice of any of the former snacks

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8 cans of tuna per day, 5K every day, 5x5 3 days per week with half a box of cereal on each 5x5 day.

EDIT: I see progress but I really want to give you a titty twister.

Mr Thibs

Reaction score
Haha, why, wouldn't be the 1st time!!

I can't see you being serious on 8 cans of tuna a day. Wheres the veggies man!!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Thibs
I can't see you being serious on 8 cans of tuna a day. Wheres the veggies man!!

Who said vegetables were required?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Fiber helps things move along...

You can take a fiber supplement e.g. psyllium or glucomannan.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Thibs - you're making good progress. And remember you have the rest of your life to keep improving your health.

Here's my meal plan that I have been following for awhile that has help me lower my body fat. I follow it Monday through Saturday and eat whatever I want on Sundays.

Meal 1:
3 egg whites
1 slice Jarlsberg light cheese
1 La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortilla
1 cup non-fat milk

Meal 2:
12 oz Hood's Calorie Countdown milk
2 scoops of Muscle Milk protein
1 Tsp Natural peanut butter

Meal 3:
8 oz Field Greens Salad
4.5 oz of packaged tuna (lemon-pepper)
1 oz low-fat feta cheese
15 Ken's salad spritzer sprays

Meal 4:
Ralphs Carb Master yogurt
1 Thomas Light English muffin
1 Tsp of Natural peanut butter

Meal 5:
2 Member's Mark mesquite chicken breast filets
2 cups steamed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower)
Balsamic vinegar

Meal 6:
8 oz Hood's Calorie Countdown milk
1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition protein

Exercise: ~ 25 minutes weight training, 30 minutes cardio (long run on Sat)

Meal 7:
1 La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortilla
1 slice of Jarlsberg light cheese

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
I'm just not a fan of supplements. Plus vegetables taste good.

Fiber is fiber whether you get it from vegetables or not. Either way it's not digested and just adds bulk.

The only difference is that if it's soluble fiber it can bind cholesterol. And, of course, with veggies there's the added benefit of vitamins and taste if you like them as in your case. However, your initial statement was only concerned with bowel transit hence the suggestion.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever been constipated in my life.

Besides, 8 cans of tuna amounts to so little excrement that even if ******** became difficult I doubt it'd be noticeable.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 5'6 and SEVERLY underweight. Been doing my own thing like OP for years, and haven't really gotten anywhere with it. Two weeks ago I started the Rippetoe starting strength 5x5 and have already gained 8 lbs. You may wanna look into that.

why: re tuna, don't you worry about mercury?

turbozed

Reaction score
Forget the mercury. What about taste? I'd go crazy eating that stuff after one day unless it was canned, just-caught raw toro. I'd go to Costco and buy a variety of meat. Chicken thighs (CHEAP), the $3.49/lbcut of beef, pork loins (REALLY CHEAP). Buy the cans of tuna as well. For even more variety, you can buy the individually sealed tilapia or salmon fillets. Get the ziplock vacuum sealer ($5) and get to work sealing the servings of meat. You are set on whole food protein for a month now. Furthermore, you'll enjoy your meals and you'll get to eat something different everyday. There's most of your 150g of protein right there, the rest you can get through powders, etc. Make sure you keep your crisper stocked with vegetables. It's good to fill your stomach with alongside your protein. If you're the type that overeats, this really helps because your stomach doesn't differentiate between caloric dense and low-calorie 'stomach space.' Otherwise, veggies are nutrient rich and taste good. I've been eating healthy for the past couple of months and I've not only been saving a lot of money but eating delicious food as well. Dinner consisting of steak, chicken, pork + veggies range anywhere from $1.50 to $3.50 a meal. For fitness, do the Starting Strength program. This page should be al you need for a couple of months: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength Edit: Get rid of the cereal. Eat the oatmeal pre workout. Don't worry so much about avoiding fat in any form (unless it's transfat or unless you have a medical condition requiring you to do so).

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Excellent post turbozed. I'd recommend the canned chicken breast, but it's a bit on the high side so I'd just bake my own and store it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads