• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

    The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

    If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help with wife's 30th birthday

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
4,928
Reaction score
745
Ok, normally I'm pretty good at coming up with gifts and making for a special day; however, with my wife's 30th rapidly approaching we have an added complication - she will be 38 weeks pregnant at the time. Thus, I can't take her away for a surprise weekend because we need to be close to home (and just got back from a week long vaca.) Even if I were to stay local, there are no good hotels that I know of and I can't even find a good spa or B&B. I can't throw a party because we recently moved and our family and friends are 5-6 hours away.

I have a bevy of presents, will take her out for a great dinner, send flowers at work, etc...but I just need something more memorable.

So SF, what do you think?
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,605
Reaction score
400
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Ok, normally I'm pretty good at coming up with gifts and making for a special day; however, with my wife's 30th rapidly approaching we have an added complication - she will be 38 weeks pregnant at the time. Thus, I can't take her away for a surprise weekend because we need to be close to home (and just got back from a week long vaca.) Even if I were to stay local, there are no good hotels that I know of and I can't even find a good spa or B&B. I can't throw a party because we recently moved and our family and friends are 5-6 hours away.

I have a bevy of presents, will take her out for a great dinner, send flowers at work, etc...but I just need something more memorable.

So SF, what do you think?


honestly, you are screwed. when my wife was 38 weeks pregnant, nothing was going to make her happy, anyway.

how about this - the best meal you can get for her now, and a promise that the first weekend that she is ready to leave the baby, she goes off to a hotel by herself and you take care of the family.
 

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
4,928
Reaction score
745
Should have also noted that I will be sending her for a spa day a week or two before her bday - place that can do prenatal stuff. She wasn't too happy that our hotel spa on vaca would only let her do a facial.

I don't know if she would be up for a weekend by herself (I don't think she's in to that). Thanks for the suggestion though.
 

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
12,151
Reaction score
939
38 weeks in (but with no baby/preganant woman experience) she may just want a day being pampered. Get the house spotless, then have a crew from a spa come to the house and give her the works.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,605
Reaction score
400
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Should have also noted that I will be sending her for a spa day a week or two before her bday - place that can do prenatal stuff. She wasn't too happy that our hotel spa on vaca would only let her do a facial.

I don't know if she would be up for a weekend by herself (I don't think she's in to that). Thanks for the suggestion though.


first child?

believe me, in a few months, all she will want is some sleep. good luck!
 

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2009
Messages
4,928
Reaction score
745
yeah, it's our first. she may be up for a weekend away at that point, guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Any other thoughts team SF?
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,605
Reaction score
400
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
yeah, it's our first. she may be up for a weekend away at that point, guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Any other thoughts team SF?


see what other people say - but we have 3 kids, every year for my wife's birthday I give her a weekend in a hotel. alone. not only does she love it, but her friends are all envious.

anyway, good luck.
 

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2,215
Reaction score
54
Maybe pay for some of her close friends to fly in for the weekend?
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,178
Reaction score
116
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Maybe pay for some of her close friends to fly in for the weekend?
nice one.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,161
Reaction score
1,750
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Maybe pay for some of her close friends to fly in for the weekend?

winner
 

Rambo

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 3, 2007
Messages
27,304
Reaction score
1,620
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Maybe pay for some of her close friends to fly in for the weekend?
Or to contrast that, pay for her and the baby to fly out to see somebody she doesn't get to see often or at all. Women love showing off their children.
 

IamKris

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2010
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Breakfast in bed works every time.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

  • Classic Leather Low-Top

  • Canvas Plimsoll

  • Leather Slip-On

  • Canvas Slip-On

  • Athletic Kicks

  • Leather High-Top


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
435,924
Messages
9,368,314
Members
196,580
Latest member
Johnnytodd
Top