1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

help with upcoming trip to Paris?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Dec 3, 2011.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

this is great stuff, really appreciate all the input. I look forward to printing the responses and visiting the various recommended places- my flight from dubai is 30 december, so i still have some time to scheme the trip.

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Dubai you say?

John Lobb, Dubai Mall, next to the Armani Hotel in the Burj Kalifa. Stop in the Armani for a drink or afternoon tea.

Camel races in the desert if you have time for some local color. Hopefully you can scout out one with robot jockies.

A million decent if uninspired restaurants.

That's about it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Don't stay at the Plaza, it might very well be the corniest hotel in the world. Well I guess if you're coming from Dubai it'll be an easy transition....

4. max b

max b Senior member

Restaurants : Le relais de l'entrecote - Rue Marbeuf. If you like meat, this is something you have to try. Book in advance because it is always full

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Marais is touristy but for good reason. Very charming.

Champs-Elysees is a waste of time unless you're looking for Westons. See the Arc and be done with it.

Cokes often run 3 euro, so if you're thirsty, "une carafe d'eau, s'il vous plait" will save you some money.

The fountains in Place de la Concorde are beautiful and worth seeing, as is the obelisk from Luxor. Plus there's the revolutionary significance.

Read up on some of the more common scams. People will start trying to dun you as soon as you arrive.

However little time you have, spend some of it just sitting outside a bistro watching the people go by.

Drink some vin chaud for me.

6. LTM

LTM Well-Known Member

7. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

Big disappointment - small(ish) portions in an interesting sauce. Saint Germain location but I imagine they're all like that. I recommend Chez Denise near Chatelet if you're a carnivore.

If you want something closer Aubrac is supposed to be good. Haven't been yet though. http://www.aubrac-corner.com/index-21,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0.htm

8. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

This is such an outrageously silly and groundless criticism that I feel compelled to use the word "idiotic." It's a very nice RLBL jacket; it has nothing to do with Americana and it is the very opposite of the tourist phenomena you are talking about (fanny packs and general lack of style). Nobody who would buy/wear that jacket would ever have backwards ball-cap on.

+1 and thank you

9. HHD

HHD Senior member

It's a nice jacket and certainly better looking than what most Parisians are wearing at this time of year. RL is much appreciated over here so you won't look out of place. Plus it appears to have plenty of secure zipped pockets which will keep the inevitable Metro pickpockets at bay (Les Champs-Elysées have become quite bad for petty crime, mostly aimed at tourists, in the past year. Yet another reason to avoid what the French still insist on calling "the most beautiful avenue in the world").

Rue Marbeuf is the most SF-approved shopping street in the area you've selected. Berluti, Canali, Corneliani, Zilli (only joking), Cifonelli RTW (and their bespoke operation along the street), John Lobb (on a sidestreet off Marbeuf), and a really good branch of Arthur and Fox (men's weekend / classics / Boglioli). There are a few decent brasseries and cafés on and around the street (the further you get from the Champs-Elysées the better for value and atmosphere). They're nothing special for foodies but if you want a beer and a steak frites between shopping and sightseeing they'll do the trick). You also get to hang out around some of the well-heeled Parisians who live and work in the neighbourhood. I like Café La Belle Férronnière, Rue Pierre Charron just opposite Lobb's. I stress, nothing that will trouble Michelin but very much where locals lunch during the week. There's a Maison de la Truffe nearby, which is expensive but fun if you like truffles.

More SF-inspired fun: Not far from Place de la Concorde is a Slowear (Incotex, Montedoro) boutique which is worth visiting.

Note that you're getting in on 30 December: Much of Paris (and indeed France) closes on 1 January so make allowances for that. Enjoy your trip!

10. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

I'll be there with the girlfriend, so not staying at a slick modern hotel or anything cool this trip-- however, pretty sure the athenee hotel receives many good reviews from what i've seen/ seems to be well reviewed by everything from travel magazines to the esquire Black Book. Is it the decor you're referring to in making it "corny?"

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

NVM.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Travel magazine and Esquire are publicity-driven and written by people with the taste of butchers (or rappers) who won the lotto or at the very least writers who need this gig and know their audience (I know a chick that used to write castle/manor reviews for Russian oligarchs, the bullshit she’d say was beyond the pale). The Plaza decor is so corny you'll both roll your eyes at the same time which could make for some funny moments but I mean spending 3-4 days there is beyond most (non Russian/non Middle-Eastern/non asian) people's aesthetic endurance. In other words "opulance, I haz it!" + at New Year's you'll probably have some Russki party that could be fun for 1 hr but same idea (there was one last yr). The area isn't that cool either, I mean it's only shops and tourists, no one goes there. Now there are a couple of really great museums in the nearby area, check out what the expos are if that is your thing.

Keep in mind that:
    1) a lot of people leave the city during this period.
    2) a lot of Chinese people who spit on sidewalks arrive (they'll soon buy the city when everyone goes bankrupt).
    3) Many places are closed.

Best plan would be to secure a really nice dinner-date restaurant and take the touristy but nice monument walk of the area for one evening (i.e. take your map and go everywhere that is well known). At least it'll look good and will probably make your GF happy. Oh and go to grand palais, it’s their holiday season program and that’s one corny activity you won’t regret. Rest of the time though take a cab/subway and go to le Marais or Montmartre, St-Germain (central places that aren't as bad) or anywhere but Av Montaigne and its surroundings.

There's a Bela Tarr retrospective (at Beaubourg) that just started but I think it'll be over by then. Not sure if that's your thing though...

Maybe go to Pétrelle to make the RJ happy?

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Fuuma, how about the Moulin Rouge?

:confused:

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

You should pick the crazy horse, that way you'll get to see other (Russian) hotel guests...

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

But the can can is such an underrated French dance, especially when performed by StyleForvm members at one of their popular meet-ups.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I loved wondering around Le Marais. So many nice shops and eats. I would also go to Corthay. Hemmingway bar was awesome in the Ritz. Go through the front to see the long corridors of displays.

17. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Personally, I'd pass on the Louve and hit the Rodin Museum instead. It's in a former aristocractic residence across the river, and Rodin's sculptures are spread within the residence as well as the villa's grounds. Plus, if you opt for the "passport" ticket combined with priority access to the Musee d'Orsay, you get all the Impressionists for just 1 Euro extra - and critically - you won't have to queue to get in.

Skip going up the Eiffel Tower, the view is definitely mediocre and there's a crush of people. Instead, go up the Arc de Triomphe, which gives a much better view and really allows you to admire Hausmann's urban planning.

Versailles is impressive - just buy your tickets online otherwise be prepared for Disneyesque queues...

For hotels, there are a few new boutiques - haven't stayed yet but have heard good things. Hotel Jules and Hotel Beauchamps

For restaurants, I've found The Fork to be quite reliable. It's available in English, and completely searchable by cuisine, arrondissement, ratings, etc. Plus, there are loads of 30%-50% off deals which are immediately applied to your bill provided you book through the website. To calibrate yourself, stick with places which receive an 8.0 rating or higher.

18. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

really great recommendations! will be hard to fit a lot in, but i definitely have a lot of good choices from this thread.

One more question-- where to get a great haircut in paris?

19. HHD

HHD Senior member

Desfossé, 19 Ave Matignon: 01 43 59 95 13

20. EriQ009

EriQ009 Senior member

Take time out one morning to have a hot chocolate and croissant at Angelina on Rue de Rivoli.