• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Tie

styleguyny

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to the forums and wanted introduce myself. I've been reading back and fourth on here for some tips on style. Currently I'm on the fence with a tie for a new suit i've purchased. I have a medium gray Tommy Hilfiger suit that I recently purchased on sale and got tailored pictured here...

I also purchased shoes which you can see here...

I'll be wearing a white shirt with the suit and kind of on the fence about a dark, light, strip, or dotted tie. If anyone can help out with that I would appreciate it. I was thinking something on the dark blue end such as this..
I'm still very undecided and open to options. I'll be wearing it to a wedding this weekend and dinner with my girlfriend after. All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

D

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark blue tie with pin dots. But of course you should have numerous ties. As per Will of A Suitable Wardrobe:

The role of the necktie you see is to contrast with the wool of the jacket and this is done with more sophistication using texture rather than color. Woven silks are better than printed for that job, and in my opinion the core of a tie wardrobe should be comprised of silk knits, grenadines, satins and oxfords in black, silver and navy. Especially navy. Indeed, a black knit, a black and a silver grenadine and four navy ties in the aforementioned weaves will get a man through his life and do it quite stylishly. Whether they form the basic core of a necktie wardrobe or suffice without further supplement is merely a matter of personal preference.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2012/05/basic-neckties.html

Last edited:

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gray (specifially light grey)is the most versitle color in my opion and can be worn with any color tie . I would have to see the actual suit to determine.In this case I wouldn't wear a black tie becuase you are wearing it with Brown shoes.For dark brown shoes I would lean toward darker color ties(e.g. Burgundy,Navy Blue,etc)

styleguyny

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... I felt the same way about the light gray suit but I wanted to go with medium blue. Would a light grey pattern tie work? This is a nice look...

Last edited:

styleguyny

Reaction score
Thanks man! I saw an Original Penguin tie today reasonably priced at $12.99. It was dark blue and had like tiny white circles on it which made up it's pattern. What do you think of those ties?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the worst cheap ties I've come across, but you can do better at a place like Marshall's.

As for what tie to choose, you're gonna want more than one, so why limit yourself? Buy one with small dots, buy another with stripes, and buy a solid with some texture to it. Maybe. Other than a couple knits, I don't actually own any solid ties, and there are very few ties worse in my book than a solid satin tie in a bright color. Nothing says high school kid like a black suit, oversized polyester shirt, and a bright red solid shiny tie.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. Buy a few ties with classic patterns and pick which one you want to wear when you're going to be wearing it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads