• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with suit issue

jcb522

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here and this suit that I recently purchased has been giving me a weird issue. It seems to fit but it does a weird thing around the bottom button. It spreads and doesn't sit flush and I'm not sure if it's normal for it to do that.When buttoned up it seems a little tight underneath the arm pit area on both sides. I wore it last night and that's where the top picture is from, the bottom one I just took. It's a suit from a brand called "Tailored Wax" size is 42 in slim fit. Any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Brendon

Reaction score
Hi JCB 522
If you think the suit is mostly a good fit, then ok the problem you have specifically referred to of the coat falling away is the coat is crooked and cannot be fixed by these people. If you wish top know what I think of this then read on, otherwise that is the problem and good luck with further purchases.

this is getting close to the worst I have seen on style forum and that is saying something. I am trying to help so when I say notice how the narrow shoulders and short coat make you look like a gorilla ( what was that cartoon? ). If you look front on in the mirror your head will look bigger than normal, the shoulder is too narrow and this is messing with the natural balance ie what flatters you. Not only is the coat tight it is crooked as I said earlier and hat is why it is falling away. Have you paid for it ? If so and there is no redress? Then put it down to experience,
good luck

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

jcb522

Reaction score
Hi JCB 522
If you think the suit is mostly a good fit, then ok the problem you have specifically referred to of the coat falling away is the coat is crooked and cannot be fixed by these people. If you wish top know what I think of this then read on, otherwise that is the problem and good luck with further purchases.

this is getting close to the worst I have seen on style forum and that is saying something. I am trying to help so when I say notice how the narrow shoulders and short coat make you look like a gorilla ( what was that cartoon? ). If you look front on in the mirror your head will look bigger than normal, the shoulder is too narrow and this is messing with the natural balance ie what flatters you. Not only is the coat tight it is crooked as I said earlier and hat is why it is falling away. Have you paid for it ? If so and there is no redress? Then put it down to experience,
good luck

haha I appreciate that, I've never been called gorilla-esque before standing at 5"10" and about 125lbs haha.Unfortunately yes, I have already paid for it but thankfully it was the cheapest suit I have purchased (300$). I thought it was falling away like that because it was tight but I never even considered it being crooked. I really appreciate your input while I'm looking for a new suit, I guess I'll be staying away from this brand in the future. This was actually the look I'm looking for in my next suit purchase and I thought this one was close, unfortunately I was wrong.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks dreadful - is it not just too small for you?

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you really just 5'10 125 lbs? If so, that's got to be the smallest 42 suit I've EVER seen in my life.
As mentioned above, it looks crooked: Your right shoulder/delt is bulging out, while your left arm is looking more normal.

It also seems like there's a pair of pulling bulges on the shoulders.

Do you have the measurements for shoulders and chest/p2p ?

jcb522

Reaction score
Are you really just 5'10 125 lbs? If so, that's got to be the smallest 42 suit I've EVER seen in my life.
As mentioned above, it looks crooked: Your right shoulder/delt is bulging out, while your left arm is looking more normal.

It also seems like there's a pair of pulling bulges on the shoulders.

Do you have the measurements for shoulders and chest/p2p ?

Yup, I'm actually 5'10 and my weight ranges from 120-125lbs. This suit is actually off the rack and completely untouched when I wore it in the pictures in my original post.

Do you mean my measurements or the measurements of the jacket in question? According to indochino (where one of my other suits came from) my measurements are:

Jacket/Shirt Length 28.5″
Chest Size 37″
Stomach Size 32.75″
Jacket Hips 38.25″
Shoulder Size 17″
Sleeve Length 24″
Bicep Size 13.5″
Wrist Size 10.5″

As for measurements of this jacket, I'm not sure since it's off the rack. Do I just take my tape measure and go directly across one shoulder seam to the other?

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that's not an EU 42'

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect the start of the problem may be that you paid $300 for something called Tailored Wax, which I couldn't find with a quick Google search. where did you get it?

Fit issues aside, you are talking about the part of the jacket called the quarters. Some coats are designed with closed quarters (closer together all the way to the bottom) and some with open quarters (that pull away like yours).

jcb522

Reaction score
I suspect the start of the problem may be that you paid $300 for something called Tailored Wax, which I couldn't find with a quick Google search. where did you get it?
Fit issues aside, you are talking about the part of the jacket called the quarters. Some coats are designed with closed quarters (closer together all the way to the bottom) and some with open quarters (that pull away like yours).
I bought it at this local store that carries Vivienne Westwood, Alexander Mcqueen, Raf simmons and the like so I figured it would be an okay brand.
Are you sure that's not an EU 42'

Yeah, it is a European 42

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a 37" chest you should be looking at an EU 48 maybe a large 46. A 42 is way too small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads