• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help with suit fitment, brand questions

thinkrevolution

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade my suit wardrobe, spurred by a wedding i'm attending in about five weeks. I spent the day looking, and i'm more confused then before.. my dilemna;

I'm a personal trainer with a very athletic V type build. I have a 45 chest to a 34 waist. Not only that, but i'm very muscular which "pulls" on the fabric ( I can't think of a lack of better term ) and makes things smaller then they would otherwise be. I'm hoping if I tell you guys how some stuff fit, you can lead me in the right direction.

Other measurements; Shoulder (neck to outside) 19", neck 16 1/2" Arms 32 1/2" and i'm 5' 11"

I tried on a 42R Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald, arms too short, shoulders too tight waist too loose. 44R BB Madison - shoulders too tight, swimming in the waist.44R BB Fitzgerald - totally swimming waist "Ok" fit elsewhere, workable.

Caneli 44R - fit decently everywhere, except waist. Once again swimming in the waist. Also odd fitment in shoulders now that I think about it - if I didn't stand completely straight up, it would do this weird bunching as if I was wearing shoulder pads.

Hugo Boss (I believe Passolini) 44R - best fit of all, snug where it should be, probably a bit too tight in chest (which would disqualify it) and loose in waist but nothing unworkable.

I really wanted to try on Ralph Lauren Black Label or Armani Collezioni but nothing even remotely near me carries the RLBL and the Armani was out of stock at the two places I went. Any insight onto how these would line up?

Or any other brand suggestions? I'm going to go out tomorrow to try to find a place with the armani... however, i'm alittle discouraged at this point. Any direction would be great.

pendragon

Reaction score
Nothing is going to fit you OTR. You might as well find the closest you can, and then get a good alteration tailor. Or go MTM.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Carmina

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 72 32.6%