• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with sportcoat button choice

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently picked up a sportcoat (pictured below) on ebay and got a good deal, in part because several of the dark MOP buttons are broken and must be replaced. A user in the CM section suggested to me that this likely resulted from sending it to a dry cleaner who used a heavy machine to press the garment. The same user directed me to a site where I found horn, MOP, and pearl buttons for sale. Any opinions on which buttons pictured below would be best (other suggestions also welcome)?

Thanks.

The jacket
Screenshot_20210426-192922_Chrome.jpg

Buffalo horn
Screenshot_20210427-064455_Chrome.jpg

Smoke MOP
Screenshot_20210427-064549_Chrome.jpg

Dark blue pearl (closest to originals, I think)
Screenshot_20210427-064947_Chrome.jpg

Medium blue pearl
Screenshot_20210427-065025_Chrome.jpg

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Dark brown horn.

Contrasting buttons are more casual, but this is already a pretty casual color, so I don't see that as a problem. Personally not a fan of larger MOP buttons for sport coats.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Dark brown horn.

Contrasting buttons are more casual, but this is already a pretty casual color, so I don't see that as a problem. Personally not a fan of larger MOP buttons for sport coats.

Thanks. I have a couple other more casual jackets on the way as well, so there might be something to be said in favor of keeping this one slightly more formal with buttons that more closely match the jacket. The dark horn buttons are certainly tempting though. I should note this jacket is ventless, to the extent that factors into the equation.

I like MOP, but the sort of rainbow effect of the smoke MOP buttons may be a bit odd, and I don't want to replace broken MOP with new MOP if they're going to be very prone to breaking again (probably more prone than the smaller MOP buttons on shirts).

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like both the brown and the smoked MOP. I recently swapped out brass buttons on one of my blazers for brown horn and like the way it looks.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IRL the iridescence of smoked MOP is more muted than the photo suggests. That being said, I think it tends to work better with more casual jackets. Dark brown horn would certainly be a safe choice.

adrianvo

Reaction score
The buffalo horn looks great.

In my opinion, choose a matte one if possible. Shiny buttons tend to look like plastic and rather cheap.

Not a fan of MOP buttons in general, and I only get them for my dress shirts.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
IRL the iridescence of smoked MOP is more muted than the photo suggests. That being said, I think it tends to work better with more casual jackets. Dark brown horn would certainly be a safe choice.

Thanks. I agree that the bright light used for the photo seems to really bring out the iridescence of buttons that probably look more gray most of the time. Leaning toward horn at this point (but still open to being swayed), although I may need to look around more for some with a more matte appearance.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No experience with this seller but they have matte brown buttons in horn and corozo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads