• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Sizing for Purchasing New Suit/Jacket Critique

JL3212

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a solid charcoal grey suit and a solid navy suit as I am looking to start building a wardrobe. After looking through the threads for the last couple of weeks I decided to go with the Napoli from SuitSupply (I'm a poor law student so my options are limited).

I need some help with sizing. I know the common suggestions are to go to a store and try on some jackets to see what fits and then base the measurements off of that. I did try some things on, but since I know very little, my idea of what "fits" may be completely wrong.

As a result, I decided to post a couple pictures of an HSM jacket I just found at a thrift store. I know there are some problems, particularly the sleeve, and probably other things I don't know. But, specifically in terms of fit for the shoulder and chest, does this look like an okay suit to use for my basis for measurements? Too small or too big? It certainly fits way better than my two suits I purchased at Men's Wearhouse in college..

Thank you all in advance for any help or suggestions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics