• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with shoes losing colour

Pandaros

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I bought, what are for me, an expensive pair of shoes. They're NPS made in England derby shoes in walnut calf.

I had been polishing them with the cream polish that came with them, but last week I used mahogany beeswax polish to get a better shine. Maybe I'm dumb, but mahogany I found is a good deal lighter than walnut but I didn't notice at the time and the shoes looked fine after polishing.

But when I put them on the following morning, almost immediately I noticed at where the creases are a lighter colour brown was breaking through. So today I polished them with the dark brown cream polish, and still when I put them on the creases showed a lighter colour. Ok, I thought, maybe the cream polish isn't strong enough the overide the beeswax. So I took the dark brown beeswax polish and still I have the same problem: a lighter colour at the creases.

Maybe I'm going insane, and this is what should be the case. But the shoes look discoloured and motley, and I really don't know how to fix the issue. Maybe its cheap leather after 6 weeks of use.

But if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate your help.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you post a picture? That would help to evaluate if there is a big problem or no problem at all.

Pandaros

Reaction score
Can you post a picture? That would help to evaluate if there is a big problem or no problem at all.

Thanks for the reply. Here they are:

Attachments

• 120184204_338668957548752_4745787237265105826_n.jpg
    120184204_338668957548752_4745787237265105826_n.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 120123684_327125121682297_2718093065661547648_n.jpg
    120123684_327125121682297_2718093065661547648_n.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 120199501_1448828792173013_7988125465083698383_n.jpg
    120199501_1448828792173013_7988125465083698383_n.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 102

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Here they are:

Absolutely normal.

Creases will always show the lightest colour of the leather v. the darker colour of the polish.

You said you used mahogany on walnut shoes: mahogany is DEFINITELY the darker colour than walnut. (Look at a walnut shell v. some mahogany furniture).

Frankly, they look nice. There's no problem here to worry about.

Pandaros

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your responses. I was freaking out a little because the contrast was really striking on the day after polishing them with mahogany, and I didn't have this issue with the cream polish.

So, I guess the mahogany accentuated the contrast with the creases. The cream polish though seems pretty dark - it doesn't say the colour on the tin, a Saphir brand.

Aside from the cream, I have tan, mahogany, and dark brown beeswax polishes. I did notice an improvement after the dark brown (which I assumed was darker than mahogany, but I guess not). What colour would you recommend?

I'm sorry for the questions but I'm pretty new to this, and haven't had a similar issue to my black Barker boots which are 9 months old and still look like they did the first day I got them.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your responses. I was freaking out a little because the contrast was really striking on the day after wearing them, and I didn't have this issue with the cream polish.

So, I guess the mahogany accentuated the contrast with the creases. The cream polish seems pretty dark - it doesn't say the colour on the tin, a Saphir brand.

I have tan, mahogany, and dark brown polishes. I did notice an improvement after the dark brown (which I assumed was darker than mahogany, but I guess not). What colour would you recommend?

I'm sorry for the questions but I'm pretty new to this, and haven't had a similar issue to my black Barker boots which are 9 months old and still look like they did the first day I got them.

Dark brown should usually be the darkest brown colour. Basically, the creases are always going to lose more colour than the rest of the shoe, though. The crease is going to reject the colour more as it is flaking off it through the flexing of the leather at that point.. Generally, on shoes I antique, after two or three wears the creases begin to show lighter.

Tan < Mahogany < Dark brown is usually how it works.

Yeah, black boots aren't going to ever have this problem as the leather is dyed through black, but even then, you can see creases on your black shoes, which indicates they are (slightly) lighter.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The surface looks a bit dry which could be adding to it.

Do you know if it’s just calfskin or has it been treated somehow? Chromexel for example?

if it’s just regular calfskin, consider a color matched or neutral cream.

Pandaros

Reaction score
I have the link to them here so you can see them out of the box. I think when they say walnut they mean walnut wood, which from what you're saying is likely close to mahogany.

I'm saying this because I haven't meant to antique the shoes - and I'm really hoping that I haven't done so!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you know if it’s just calfskin or has it been treated somehow? Chromexel for example?

Yeah, the more colour matched, the less the effect will be, as the effect comes about from a mismatch between the dyed colour of the leather and the polish.

Pandaros

Reaction score

From the research I had done when buying them, I recall that the NPS heritage range is all just calfskin.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm saying this because I haven't meant to antique the shoes - and I'm really hoping that I haven't done so!

what do you mean?
As you wear shoes, the leather and dye will oxidize. Creams and polishes will also add patina and so if that’s what you mean by “antique the shoes” then that’s just a normal process.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you mean?
As you wear shoes, the leather and dye will oxidize. Creams and polishes will also add patina and so if that’s what you mean by “antique the shoes” then that’s just a normal process.

You can always also "undo" an antiquing by removing the polish if you haven't dyed the shoes.

Pandaros

Reaction score
So just coming back to colour matching and the polishes I have available. If you look at the link to the shoes I posted above, is mahogany a suitable polish for it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads