• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with shoemaking in the US

oconnellda

Reaction score
I have several designs of men's loafers made in Sketchbook/Affinity Design. I have also modeled a last in Fusion 360 and had a last made by from a company in Germany (minke.de). Finally, I have collected several leather samples from a few US manufacturers. With all of this in hand, my question is: Where do I find someone to help me create my shoes in the US?

I know several brands use European and Asian factories. Are there any folks on this forum with experience in shoemaking that could help me?

Thanks,
Dan

Godot

Reaction score
I'm no expert on this but as no one else has offered any assistance, here is my 2$. There are a number of companies that make custom shoes. For the most part these companies seem to offer a made to measure shoe based on their design rather then a true custom shoe. Probably for an extra 50% one of them would make some shoes of your design. If you want them for your personal use & don't mind a $1500 price tag for a pair of loafers, problem solved.
If you want to market the shoes, that is probably not the way to go. I would view all the online tutorials on how to make your own shoes, take a class in leather working, apprentice for free for a month at your town's best shoe repair shop, buy some thrift store loafers & deconstruct them. In short I'd get some expertise in the dirty work. After all that I think I'd be able to make a pair of shoes or a least a pair of sample shoes. Then I'd attempt to have someone like Allen Edmunds buy the designs. It seems like a lot of work, but if it's something you want this is one approach. Good Luck

oconnellda

Reaction score
I'm no expert on this but as no one else has offered any assistance, here is my 2$. There are a number of companies that make custom shoes. For the most part these companies seem to offer a made to measure shoe based on their design rather then a true custom shoe. Probably for an extra 50% one of them would make some shoes of your design. If you want them for your personal use & don't mind a $1500 price tag for a pair of loafers, problem solved.
If you want to market the shoes, that is probably not the way to go. I would view all the online tutorials on how to make your own shoes, take a class in leather working, apprentice for free for a month at your town's best shoe repair shop, buy some thrift store loafers & deconstruct them. In short I'd get some expertise in the dirty work. After all that I think I'd be able to make a pair of shoes or a least a pair of sample shoes. Then I'd attempt to have someone like Allen Edmunds buy the designs. It seems like a lot of work, but if it's something you want this is one approach. Good Luck

Appreciate the advice. I think ultimately I want to make a custom loafer first, then market/sell it. I've done a little bit of the dirty work by designing the last and having it made by a last maker. The next step would be things like the leather working and shoe repair to learn the nuts and bolts. In the past I did reach out to smaller retailers to use my designs, but they were much worse sketches back then. I could try that route. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads