• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Shoe Damage (the bad kind)

JCM

Reaction score
Any advice on how I might be able to fix this myself with cremes, polishes, etc. and keep the original color? Any other ideas?
0000208cw3.jpg

JCM

Reaction score
Anyone? Some of you must have had luck with a repair like this...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those are the C&Js right? Sadly I think there's no way to repair that. Maybe you could just darken that area so it wouldn't be noticeable. And don't fret too much about it.

billiebob

Reaction score
That's an unfortunate scratch but I've done as much on my first wearings with some shoes. I refuse to get broken up about it because as much as I want them to last, they are in contact with some sharp and dirty things every day. I'd never wear anything if I couldn't let it go.

So yeah, polish it well and let it go. No one but you will EVER know it's there.

JCM

Reaction score
Yeah, C&Js

Thanks for the advice guys - I hear you on not getting too upset about it. If it were my doing it'd be OK, but the cobbler did it and refused to admit it, which makes it worse. It's like getting the first scratch on your new car - if you do it, you can realize you were dumb and forgive yourself... but if someone else does it, it seems more upsetting.

I'll give the polish a go - and unfortunately have to find a new cobbler. They refuse to compensate me in any way - should I just drop it?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not go back to the cobbler. consider it a lesson learned.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
and post the name of that cobbler

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, it might not be perfect but a good cream and then a quick wax polish will probably do wonders. I have had deep scrapes like that on the toes of my shoes and they are barely visible now.

Biscione

Reaction score
It's not too bad. I personally love the way shoes age: I can seldom stand to look at a brand new pair of shoes.

Polish it, and there'll be a left over mark, but with that mark there's a story. That's character (whereas if the entire shoe were like that, then perhaps it's slightly different).

Harrydog

Reaction score
Looks like an otherwise new shoe....why was it at the cobbler? Having Topy applied?

well-kept

Reaction score
Just wear them. In a few years it will be part of the patina.

Years ago I took an almost new pair of medium brown boots into my (then) cobbler for new heels. Went to pick them up, they had a black burn mark the size of a nickel on one heel counter. Maybe he thought I wouldn't notice. I did.

He reached for a can of spray paint. I made him desist from 'repairing' them any further. Took them home and took the advice of my (then) girlfriend. "A few years from now you won't be able to see it". She was right.

Sixteen years later I've still got the boots. You'd have to hunt to find the mark.

JCM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog
Looks like an otherwise new shoe....why was it at the cobbler? Having Topy applied?

Yeah - in for Topy. Funny thing is that I've taken several pairs in before and they've done great work - I think the attitude was the most off-putting.

Stuff happens - but the mark of an honest business is admitting it. Honestly, if they had just said something like: "Wow, that probably did happen here. We're really sorry - how about we try to polish that scratch out and refund you for the Topy work?" - that would have gone a long way. I'd be cool with that and still willing to take my shoes in and recommend them to others. As it is now, I'm considering fighting the charge with the CC company since the work was clearly unsatisfactory.

I really appreciate all the stories and advice here - it helps to put this in perspective and remember how things like this are so minor in the big picture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads