• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with shirt fitment on skinny asian

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score
Hello all. Been a long time lurker here and finally thought I should post. First off I'd like to start by saying that I have absolutely 0 style and have lately been researching into improving my look. I am an engineer and engineers by nature are introverts and not very fashionable. Most folks in my office don't even bother shaving or getting their hair cut. Most folks don't even wear a button down shirt and if they had it their way, they would wear an old yellow stained white t-shirt.

Now about me, I'm skinny as a stick so it's hard to find clothes that fit me well. 5'10", 135lbs...yeah...don't judge (and yes I do lift but just genetically very skinny). I will be graduating with a M.S. this December and plan on looking for a new job (currently extremely underpaid) so its time to update my wardrobe. I've done tons of searching and found that Charles Tyrwhitt extra slim fit shirts are supposed to be some of the slimmest. I still feel like it's a little baggy in the back, please tell me what you guys think and if you have recommendations for a shirt that is even slimmer. Also please excuse the messy room and ugly belt.

Charles Tyrwhitt Extra Slim Fit (sorry no cufflinks, accidentally ordered double cuff when I wanted button cuff)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah47ww5uk6xknom/2013-09-24 17.50.07.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/irmi7xlgblqqvv7/2013-09-24 17.50.46.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsjur5goamxr836/2013-09-24 17.51.29.jpg

Banana Republic Tailored Slim Fit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwnigbno7d29s23/2013-09-24 17.56.05.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jd48ocifl3tch63/2013-09-24 17.56.24.jpg

Now this is a shirt I've had for a while and always thought of it to be my best fitting shirt...it's a Tommy Hilfiger shirt I picked up at an outlet mall a long time ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohlr6oqcaerl872/2013-09-24 17.59.34.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgm3rgh1ibix783/2013-09-24 17.59.47.jpg

Your feedback and advice is greatly appreciated. I know I can go MTM or have OTR shirts tailored, but like I said I don't make much and would prefer something OTR that fits me well.

tsornin

Reaction score
Hey man, I'm in the same boat as you (5'9", 135 lbs, skinny Asian engineer, just starting to dress better). Shirts are the hardest thing for me too! They're always way too puffy in the chest and arms. I've been meaning to try out MTM shirts (I got an MTM suit earlier this year and it turned out great), so maybe I'll have some useful experience in a month or so.

In the meantime, your clothing options really open up on a nicely paid engineer's salary; I'm one year out of school and piling up savings. IMO, you could do well for your future wardrobe by destroying those upcoming job interviews (thankfully, dressing well isn't part of the engineer's interview).

Midnight

Reaction score
If you are looking for shirts which are slimmer through the chest then the Thomas Pink Super Slim Fit and the new TM Lewin Super Fitted (only available in white) are both slimmer than the Charles Tyrwhitt Extra Slim Fit.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirts from the high street are never really going to be all that slim fit. Some of the slimmest in my experience are the Italian makers, such as Barba black label and particularly Finamore black label.

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I'm two years out of my undergrad and already got an early promotion, again sadly I'm still highly underpaid compared to my colleagues, hence why I'll be looking for a new job (plus I want to move to SoCal).

I find that all the above shirts fit fine in the chest. The banana republic fits fine in armholes but is just slightly puffy in the waist. I'll keep this one as it fits way better than anything else in my wardrobe and I'm in desperate need for some shirts. However the fabric feels like sandpaper compared to the Charles tyrwhitt. Sadly the CT is way too puffy in the armholes and waist. I shall continue my hunt.

What is the Thomas Pink return policy like?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only problem is all the shirts you seem interested in are really really poor quality for the price...

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score
I'm interested in anything that fits me well. My max budget is $60 a shirt but would prefer something in the $40 range. I just don't make enough money right now and due to grad school, I have to stick with what I can afford.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the OP has 1 well-fitting shirt already (or the patience/willingness to dial in fit over a few orders), custom makers like Luxire are also an option too, for more or less the top end of his price range. There's a Luxire thread on the front page of the forum at the moment with lots of info therein.

Last edited:

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I have seen the Kamakura shirts and I'm definitely interested in the Tokyo Slim Fit, I may just order one shirt to see how it is. Luxire also seems to be pretty nice and I will definitely try them out in the next few months once my financial state improves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads