• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with prom.

jgomusic

Reaction score
Okay, so prom is coming up soon. I do not want to do the whole tux thing, it just seems tacky to me. I need a way to look classy while matching my date but also stand out in the crowd. Any suggestions on possible outfits? Here is what i did last year to give you reference, but my dates last year had more to work with. The dress picture by its self is my dates dress this year

Canvas

Reaction score
If you can get yourself a well-fitting tuxedo, you will stand out (in a good way). I don't understand how you could think such a simple outfit could be construed as "tacky". Clothes don't have to be out of the ordinary to look great, you know.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think we all have terrible memories of what we wore to prom. I know I do. And I bet we all thought along the same lines you are.

So, I'm going to make my best, though futile, effort to dissuade you. If the prom is black tie, you should wear a tux. First of all, that would be most respectable and considerate to everyone else attending. Second, and maybe more importantly, nothing makes a guy look better than a proper dinner suit. If you do it right, you probably will stand out. Most crucially, your date will probably appreciate it . . .

Just avoid the stupid foppery that the rental catalogues throw at you. Pick a traditional peak lapeled, single-button black tux, a white shirt with a turndown collar that takes studs, and a black bow tie. You'll look great and complement whatever your date is wearing.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The 'tackiest' ill fitting rental will be a thousand percent better than the explosion in an ice ream factory you wore last year. Your date looks great. If its the same girl you owe it to her to make up for last year by following Foo's advice above. You will not only stand out in a good way, when you look back on the photos in the future you'll be able to do so without wincing.

Sonny58

Reaction score
A gentleman dresses simply and elegantly, allowing his date to shine. That is what a traditional tuxedo is designed to do.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Gentleman" arguments don't work when you're 18. You need to convince him a proper tux is more likely to get him laid. :)

ck212

Reaction score
The tuxedo is a timeless and classic style that is the exact opposite of "tacky". The tuxedo has been donned from the likes of Heads of State to rockstars and from Frank Sinatra to Jay-Z. As previously posted its hard for a gentleman to look bad or go wrong with a well made and well fitted tuxedo. The tuxedo is and of itself proper evening wear and quite frankly, cool.

A properly dressed gentleman does not need to make a special effort to "stand out". In fact, the role of a gentleman is to be the silhouette for his accompanying date. The one who should be receiving the attention and standing out should be the young lady on your arm. She has put a lot of time and effort to look beautiful and elegant for you. She certainly does not want to compete with her own date for admiring eyes and attention. It's your job to make her feel and look sexy and if done correctly could lead to a handsome reward later in the evening.

The problem may arise if one needs to rent a tuxedo. Although it's preferable to own a tuxedo there is nothing wrong with renting. Especially for a young man in his high school years who is still growing and/or may not have it within the budget to purchase. Many rental shops just want to get you out the door with an ill fitting suit in order to collect there fees and have little regard for your personal style or fit.

With that said it would be my advise to spend the time visiting the various rental shops in your area and try on different models until you have the proper fit and style. By proper fit I mean slacks that are hemmed to your size and a jacket that fits snug yet comfortable and proper shoes. If a well fitted tuxedo is the epitome of a gentleman's evening wear, an ill fitted tux will have the opposite effect and indeed could be considered "tacky". I've added a link below to show some examples of how great a well fitted tux looks on different personalities.

Thank you for including a photo of you and your date from last years event. You both look great and it appears you have a strong sense of personal style and that you take pride in your appearance. With that said please accept some criticism with the best of intentions. I'm assuming the event last year was in the evening. If so, the sport coat and slacks you are wearing are neither formal nor evening attire. A gentleman should always wear a dark suit and tie for formal evening dress and if specified black-tie then a tuxedo (a white tuxedo could be used in summer months). Secondly, your slacks are way too long. If you care about your appearance, and I'm assuming you do since your on this website, you need to have your slacks hemmed in order to fit properly. Slacks that are too long appear sloppy. The same goes for your jacket. It's a little too big. You need to have the sleeves shortened and the jacket altered by a good taylor. As mentioned above you want the jacket to be snug yet comfortable. And as for the shirt, again a little too big. You could of used a shirt one size smaller. In my opinion, with these small suggestions you would of had a smarter more taylor made look. Again, you both looked great so please accept my opinion as that. An opinion.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Here's the link I mentioned:

http://pinterest.com/MyTuxedoCatalog/tuxedos-on-celebrities/

Sonny58

Reaction score
I vaguely remember being 18...

but I would argue that "gentleman" were/are designed to get laid. :slayer:

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
What's wrong with wearing a tux to prom? Back in my prom days, my date had the audacity to not wear a tux and looked sloppy and dumb. He was stared at for the wrong reasons! I was completely embarrassed. Do you want to embarrass your date? A tux should be basically mandatory at the prom. Sorry kid!

Needless to say, I ended up being sloppy at the end when I fell on my butt in a dirty area. Had a very lovely dirt spot on my lavender dress! We were a perfect match! .....
uhoh.gif
Not really.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a tux. Black bowtie, white shirt. Cummerbund, because dammit when else in my life would I wear one?

It didn't exactly fit. I'm not sure if my haircut was worse than my shoes or vice versa, but both were awful.

I got a ton of compliments. My date was happy -- I mean, she wore a black and white dress, so there was no conflict, but still. All the guys who wore ties matched to their dates ended up looking lame.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, so prom is coming up soon. I do not want to do the whole tux thing, it just seems tacky to me. I need a way to look classy while matching my date but also stand out in the crowd. Any suggestions on possible outfits? Here is what i did last year to give you reference, but my dates last year had more to work with.  The dress picture by its self is my dates dress this year. 

I agree with what others have said here. Wear the tux and you will not have to dread looking back at your prom pictures. A proper tuxedo (peak or shawl, one button, ventless) with black formal shoes, tuxedo shirt and a bow tie (learn to tie the damn thing, not only will it impress your date but you'll look way better than your classmates with it on and also if you want to take it off. Black tie events are one of those cases where you stand out in a good way by doing things right. If you try to stand out in the crowd any other way, you will not look classy. You will look like an 18 year old kid who thinks that he looks cool and you will want to smack that 18 year old kid when you're 28. .

Don't try to match your date. First, you will not get an exact match. Second, by wearing a proper tuxedo, you are the frame to her art and you let the focus be on the girl where it belongs.

gentleman94

Reaction score
I would love to put a tuxedo on my prom. But now it's too late and i wish i could turn back time. Do not make a mistake, so you will not be ashamed in a future.

johnvw

Reaction score
I think we all have terrible memories of what we wore to prom. I know I do. And I bet we all thought along the same lines you are.

So, I'm going to make my best, though futile, effort to dissuade you. If the prom is black tie, you should wear a tux. First of all, that would be most respectable and considerate to everyone else attending. Second, and maybe more importantly, nothing makes a guy look better than a proper dinner suit. If you do it right, you probably will stand out. Most crucially, your date will probably appreciate it . . .

Just avoid the stupid foppery that the rental catalogues throw at you. Pick a traditional peak lapeled, single-button black tux, a white shirt with a turndown collar that takes studs, and a black bow tie. You'll look great and complement whatever your date is wearing.[/quote/}

Well-said. May prove to be a futile effort, as you say, but well-said nonetheless.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads