• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Peal & Co. sizing compared to c&j

aon

Reaction score
I ordered a Peal & Co. suede boots with crepe soles. I am not familiar if these are made by AS or C&J. This is my first time ordering a Peal shoe so I am not familiar with the size and the last. I ordered a size 9.5D.

As a guide, I have a c&j weymouth in 8.5E, Cheaney in 8.5F, a paul smith mainline oxford in 9UK (a bit roomy), and a grenson in 9F (rushden line I think, the fit is very narrow but the length is half a size too long in my opinion).

Did I order the correct size for the peal suede boots?

Thanks in advance!

aon

Reaction score
Help anyone? Sorry I tried using the search function but I'd like to find out how does the fit compare specifically to the337 last since its the only shoes that I have that is quite common around here. Thanks!

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What last is your Peal & Co shoe made on? It should be written on the inside of the shoe. They are often made on the 240 last, but not always.

C&J is extremely helpful and willing to discuss sizing among their lasts, and private label shoes.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you probably ordered the right size. no way to be sure until you try it on

aon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
What last is your Peal & Co shoe made on? It should be written on the inside of the shoe. They are often made on the 240 last, but not always.

C&J is extremely helpful and willing to discuss sizing among their lasts, and private label shoes.

Thanks! I still haven't received the shoes so I won't be able to see the label inside. I'm not really sure what last the suede chukka boots on crepe soles. I'm not even sure if it is AS or C&J.

Is the peal sizing usually UK size + 1?

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laer Surtep
Why don't you just go to the respective shoe stores, get measured by a pro and then try the shoes on? Depending on the shape of your foot not everyone can wear the style they want with comfort. This is why some men stick to a specific style and last.
An English F width is an American D(both medium). An English size 9 is very close to the American and is like a US 9.5
c&j weymouth in 8.5E-if that was purchased and/or labeled for the English market it would be an American 9 C (slightly narrow)
There should be a thumb's width of space at the front of the shoe(more if it's a tapered model)

I though E was equivalent to an American D. The majority of shoes from Crockett & Jones offers more E-width shoes than anything else.

aon

Reaction score
Unfortunately we don't have brooks brothers here in our country so there's no chance for me to try the shoes in store. When I went to hong kong last week they don't have the suede chukka boots.

I guess if the US9.5D is equivalent to a UK8.5E, the shoes will fit me.. The chukka boots also seems to have a wide last so I guess it will be fine. I was just hoping someone here has an experience with both c&j 337 last and the peal chukka boots.

Thanks everyone for your help.

cbarr

Reaction score
The crepe sole peal chukkas run very large.

I was +1.5 when I tried them on.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laer Surtep
Why don't you just go to the respective shoe stores, get measured by a pro and then try the shoes on? Depending on the shape of your foot not everyone can wear the style they want with comfort. This is why some men stick to a specific style and last.
An English F width is an American D(both medium). An English size 9 is very close to the American and is like a US 9.5
c&j weymouth in 8.5E-if that was purchased and/or labeled for the English market it would be an American 9 C (slightly narrow)
There should be a thumb's width of space at the front of the shoe(more if it's a tapered model)

This response is mostly incorrect. An English "F" in C&J is closer to a US "E" (and, roughly speaking, C&J "E" = US "D"). C&J 8.5E on the 337 is roughly a US 9.5D.

FYI, Peal for BB uses 4 C&J lasts: 317, 325, 240 (most common) and 360. There may be another, but I can't remember. They do not use the 337 or the 348.

I find that the Peal sizes are about 1 size different from UK sizing.

IIRC, If the suede boot with crepe sole is the same shoe as their pebble grain chukka with Dainite sole, then it is C&J on the 240 (I owned the boots for about a day but did not like them).

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flimsychicken
This response is mostly incorrect. An English "F" in C&J is closer to a US "E" (and, roughly speaking, C&J "E" = US "D"). C&J 8.5E on the 337 is roughly a US 9.5D.

FYI, Peal for BB uses 4 C&J lasts: 317, 325, 240 (most common) and 360. There may be another, but I can't remember. They do not use the 337 or the 348.

I find that the Peal sizes are about 1 size different from UK sizing.

IIRC, If the suede boot with crepe sole is the same shoe as their pebble grain chukka with Dainite sole, then it is C&J on the 240 (I owned the boots for about a day but did not like them).

This.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads