• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with pants & shoes

Trebis

Reaction score
Good morning everybody, I'd like to recieve few advices regarding the lower part of my "most formal" outfits.
After a long process I cut out the idea of Tuxedo and suits, I'm left with :

Navy Hopsack blazer, 2 buttons single breasted.
2 popelin shirts, white and light blue
2 silk ties, burgundy and dark green with some texture

I want to find out a minimal yet effective combination for the bottom : notice that I will wear this sort of outfits only for pleasure (no strict rules) and probably 2 times a month maximum.

I was wondering if a pair of black cap toe Oxford paired with chinos (medium grey, medium brown and Beijing) is gonna enhance the formality of the outfit or is it gonna make a clash.

Thank you in advance!

ThomGault

Reaction score
I was wondering if a pair of black cap toe Oxford paired with chinos (medium grey, medium brown and Beijing) is gonna enhance the formality of the outfit or is it gonna make a clash.
Black captoe shoes don't match chinos; they should be paired with proper trousers. For chinos, try brown derbies or loafers. Maybe merlot.

Trebis

Reaction score
Black captoe shoes don't match chinos; they should be paired with proper trousers. For chinos, try brown derbies or loafers. Maybe merlot.
Thanks for your reply, sir.

I'm not a fan of derbies if i have to be honest.
If i keep the oxford shoes, but go for a dark brown do you think it's acceptable in your opinion?
Otherwise i would go with a brown double monk

ThomGault

Reaction score
If i keep the oxford shoes, but go for a dark brown do you think it's acceptable in your opinion?
I wouldn't, no. Chinos are basically a single step in formality above jeans, and while plain captoes aren't the pinnacle of formality, I'd pair them with only proper wool trousers.
Could you do it? Sure, and probably some people do. But it's suboptimal.

Last edited:

Trebis

Reaction score
I wouldn't, no. Chinos are basically a single step in formality above jeans, and while plain captoes aren't the pinnacle of formality, I'd pair them with only proper wool trousers.
Could you do it? Sure, and probably some people do. But it's suboptimal.
Thanks for your opinion, Sir!
My problem is that i feel the urge to make reasonable purchases, trying to buy pieces of clothes that i can wear in many outfits.
I haven't found yet a pair of wool trousers i would consider wearing without a jacket!
I also dislike Courdoroy pants.
May i ask you to kindly suggest me some sort of fabric for trousers that may be viable for oxfords and blazer but will be casual enough to be worn with a sweater and subtle sneakers?

ThomGault

Reaction score
May i ask you to kindly suggest me some sort of fabric for trousers that may be viable for oxfords and blazer but will be casual enough to be worn with a sweater and subtle sneakers?
Can you recommend a car that gets 60 mpg and 2.5 second 0-60? No? That's because they're competing priorities. And clothes have competing priorities, too. The point of formal clothes is that they ARENT casual clothes. Trousers that match a blazer will not also match sneakers. I applaud your desire for a minimal wardrobe, but one must know ones limits, and mixing extremes in the formality spectrum is one such limit. Depending on your needs, buy a few pairs of trousers, a few pairs of jeans, a few pairs of chinos, and wear them appropriately.

Trebis

Reaction score
Can you recommend a car that gets 60 mpg and 2.5 second 0-60? No? That's because they're competing priorities. And clothes have competing priorities, too. The point of formal clothes is that they ARENT casual clothes. Trousers that match a blazer will not also match sneakers. I applaud your desire for a minimal wardrobe, but one must know ones limits, and mixing extremes in the formality spectrum is one such limit. Depending on your needs, buy a few pairs of trousers, a few pairs of jeans, a few pairs of chinos, and wear them appropriately.
Understood sir, thanks for your kind replies. Will try to work around the situation!

Trebis

Reaction score
Good morning again!

I think I found the right way to solve my issue:

I will find a pair of derby that I like. I found one by Carmina, bit too expensive but it shows that it is possible to make a derby thar fits my taste.

Now I could choose to have them in black or dark brown : both ways, I've found different shades of chinos I had not considered in the first place : besides grey, there are several shades of beige, tan, sand, cream, light brown, taupe etc that could work well with the rest of the outfit, not clashing with anything and still provide enough differentiation

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads