• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with October wedding

hc_afifan

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm brand new to the board and also very new to men's fashion so please bear with me. :) I've been slowly updating my fiance's wardrobe over the past month or so since it needs a severe overhaul so this is a new interest of mine.

We're getting married this October (I'm a girl so I have no idea what it's like to wear menswear beyond men's t-shirts, I have no real experience with this). I'm looking for ideas and advice on how to dress my husband-to-be, and to a lesser extent, our best man. If it helps, we're getting married in the afternoon at a local state park, and the overall vibe we're going for is somewhat rustic but still elegant.

Our colors are gray and orange, so originally I thought "I'll put them in gray suits/tuxes and orange ties, boom, done." Now I realize tuxes during a daytime wedding are a big no-no, and I'm starting to lean away from gray suits, I feel like maybe it's a little matchy-matchy with the rest of the decor. I really like tweed and I know it's appropriate for the season so I was considering ordering a Walker Slater brown tweed jacket and pants for the groom (leaning towards this one in particular: https://www.walkerslater.com/edward-suit-jacket-shetland-tobacco-donegal-tweed), some sort of orange necktie/bowtie, tan shoes/belt, and some burnt orange/burgundy accents to complement the flecks in the tweed and bring in our orange theme.

My questions are:
1) First of all, is this Walker Slater outfit even decent? It's right about at my price range and I personally love the way their clothes look, but I don't fully trust my opinion yet.
2) Is it "sufficient" to just match ties with our best man and the groom and go for a cohesive look overall (maybe putting him in shades of brown also)? Should I not even match ties? Our best man is a pretty dapper guy who probably has some coordinating pieces in his wardrobe already and if he doesn't, he'd love an excuse to buy himself a new outfit.
3) Is brown the right move or would it look weird if so much of our decorations are in gray? Should I go with gray tweed instead? I'm guessing it's a faux-pas to mix brown and gray together, since sometimes it looks very wrong to my eyes.
4) If I go with a brown jacket/pants...what should I do for the vest? My fiance likes the idea of him wearing a bow tie to stand out more among our guests, so I feel like I need a vest to close up some of the negative space the jacket would leave. I could order a matching one or is that too much, would I be better off getting maybe a lighter shade of brown?

Sorry in advance if these questions are dumb or obvious, thanks for any input!

jaxenro

Reaction score
Just my opinion but men aren’t table decorations and the idea of their clothes matching the decorations belongs in the pages of a bridal magazine with little understanding of men’s fashion. Your husband to be isn’t a table cloth and shouldn’t dress like one

That said tweed is a unusual choice for a wedding but outside in a park, in October, and sort of a rustic setting it could work. Maybe

I was going to recommend just a navy suit instead but how formal will your dress be? If your going dressy and white I would recommend a plain navy or maybe even a dark gray suit if you must have gray. The mismatch between a tweed suit and a formal white dress will show in photos for the rest of your lives and probably not how you want.

Tweed is great but it is for sporting countryside events like attending a horse race. Unless you are dressed to match avoid it for him. His level of formality should approach yours.

Bow ties don’t work on anyone under 50 except with evening formal. They look neat in theory but don’t work in practice.

So my advice is unless you are also dressing casually and not in white he should go with a plain navy suit, white button shirt, black oxford shoes and matching belt, and a macclesfield wedding tie. An added benefit is if he doesn’t have a navy suit is it can be used for future events where he needs to dress up.

I know very traditional but then again weddings are traditional

P.S.

Forget matching the groom and best man their not waiters. The level of formality should match but not the suits exactly.

Chouan

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm brand new to the board and also very new to men's fashion so please bear with me. :) I've been slowly updating my fiance's wardrobe over the past month or so since it needs a severe overhaul so this is a new interest of mine.

We're getting married this October (I'm a girl so I have no idea what it's like to wear menswear beyond men's t-shirts, I have no real experience with this). I'm looking for ideas and advice on how to dress my husband-to-be, and to a lesser extent, our best man. If it helps, we're getting married in the afternoon at a local state park, and the overall vibe we're going for is somewhat rustic but still elegant.

Our colors are gray and orange, so originally I thought "I'll put them in gray suits/tuxes and orange ties, boom, done." Now I realize tuxes during a daytime wedding are a big no-no, and I'm starting to lean away from gray suits, I feel like maybe it's a little matchy-matchy with the rest of the decor. I really like tweed and I know it's appropriate for the season so I was considering ordering a Walker Slater brown tweed jacket and pants for the groom (leaning towards this one in particular: https://www.walkerslater.com/edward-suit-jacket-shetland-tobacco-donegal-tweed), some sort of orange necktie/bowtie, tan shoes/belt, and some burnt orange/burgundy accents to complement the flecks in the tweed and bring in our orange theme.

My questions are:
1) First of all, is this Walker Slater outfit even decent? It's right about at my price range and I personally love the way their clothes look, but I don't fully trust my opinion yet.
2) Is it "sufficient" to just match ties with our best man and the groom and go for a cohesive look overall (maybe putting him in shades of brown also)? Should I not even match ties? Our best man is a pretty dapper guy who probably has some coordinating pieces in his wardrobe already and if he doesn't, he'd love an excuse to buy himself a new outfit.
3) Is brown the right move or would it look weird if so much of our decorations are in gray? Should I go with gray tweed instead? I'm guessing it's a faux-pas to mix brown and gray together, since sometimes it looks very wrong to my eyes.
4) If I go with a brown jacket/pants...what should I do for the vest? My fiance likes the idea of him wearing a bow tie to stand out more among our guests, so I feel like I need a vest to close up some of the negative space the jacket would leave. I could order a matching one or is that too much, would I be better off getting maybe a lighter shade of brown?

Sorry in advance if these questions are dumb or obvious, thanks for any input!
The suit illustrated is very nice, and is of excellent quality. However, DON'T WEAR A BOW TIE WITH IT! A bow tie will turn it into a silly "dressing up" outfit, whilst a conventional tie will make it look smart and stylish. I would not suggest what you should wear, but that suit will look really stylish. I doubt that any other male guest will be wearing anything close to being as good as what you've already suggested, so he will stand out as being the best dressed man there. It will also give him a good suit to wear for long after the wedding.
If the best man also gets himself a similar, but different, suit, they will both stand out without the need for gimmicks.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit looks nice. What does your hubby-to-be think? Why is he having his wife dress him? I can’t believe a grown man isn’t able to dress himself. :facepalm:
I honestly don’t mean to be cheeky, but I’m really incredulous about it.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Lots of grown men today have no clue how to dress beyond jeans and a tee shirt and maybe a leather jacket. Many men don’t even own a suit or have an occasion to wear one

I like the suit and fabric, I like tweed, and for an outdoors event in October, assuming it isn’t a really warm climate, he could do a lot worse. My only concern is if she is wearing a formal white traditional wedding gown it would look odd with it.

If she is wearing a dress that screams bride he should wear something that at least whispers groom and the only groom I visualize in tweed is in an upscale horse barn

hc_afifan

Reaction score
Thanks for the concern about why he isn't dressing himself. :rolleyes2: He's been offering his input as I suggest things but like I said, neither one of us knows anything about formality in menswear so I'm looking for input from people who do understand that.

I guess I would consider my dress semi-formal. The tweed might be too casual now that I think about it. I'm now looking into possibly a navy double breasted suit. I still do love that tweed I posted though and might pick it up some other time!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the concern about why he isn't dressing himself. :rolleyes2: He's been offering his input as I suggest things but like I said, neither one of us knows anything about formality in menswear so I'm looking for input from people who do understand that.

I guess I would consider my dress semi-formal. The tweed might be too casual now that I think about it. I'm now looking into possibly a navy double breasted suit. I still do love that tweed I posted though and might pick it up some other time!

Have you seen the Wedding Attire thread? As you concede neither of you knows anything about formality in menswear, start here: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...r-picture-thread.329568/page-184#post-9332822

Chouan

Reaction score

I think that it will be fine.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I must admit to being partial to a morning suit or a stroller especially but if your not going with a full on traditional dress the tweed suit would work. It is sharp looking

jaxenro

Reaction score
Yes strollers are very underrated. I wore mine to church Easter I don’t think anyone had a clue what it was they just thought it was a black sports coat. Just the way things are now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads