• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with new briefcase choices!

gsotis

Reaction score
Hi you guys, been checking this site for many years now, and its been a great asset for me.

But now I need your help, I am in the process of getting a new briefcase and think I have narrowed it down to two choices. The briefcase Appreciation thread was amazing by the way.

Basically I am stuck between the the frank clegg Lawyer briefcase and the triple gusset zip top.

I was hoping to hear from any one who owns them as to how the like them and how it has stood up to the test of time. But more important is I would like to see some pictures of someone actually carrying the bag around, especially the zip top, I just cant picture how it would look for some reason.

This is a fairly large investment for me and just want to make sure I make the right choice.

Thanks,

Greg

http://frankcleggleatherworks.com/lawyers-briefcase-harness-belting-leather.html

http://frankcleggleatherworks.com/zip-top-briefcase-harness-belting-leather.html

payj

Reaction score
Hey Greg,

I am no expert, but am in the same shoes as you as to which brands/builders to go with.

From my research, a few of the top are Clegg - MA, JPM (Joeseph Marcellino) - NY, Casemaker (Simon Baker) - Scottland and SAB (Swaine Adeney Brigg) - London.

I have been looking into JPM and Clegg. Clegg seems to be a bit less customizable, but seems to be of great quality. JPM is completely bespoke AND Joe emails you back right away personally. I talked to someone at clegg and wanted them to email some pics and that was a few days ago. Still nothing. In that time, I have swapped multiple emails with JPM.

Check JPM out. See if anything piques your interest there. It seems his customer service is #1 and I believe is a smaller more bespoke shop.

----------------------

Casemaker is A1 all the way too. But the exchange rate puts his bags above my budget with what I wanted.

SAB is also great, but again very expensive all said and done. It is also a larger house.

gsotis

Reaction score
ahh more options, who knew getting a briefcase would cause this much stress lol.

But if still really looking for pics of guys holding the briefs, just so I can get a better idea how they will look.

sclemmons

Reaction score
I just bought the two gusset ziptop from Frank Clegg in chocolate shrunken. I posted a link in briefcase Appreciation, too. See below:

https://instagram.com/p/vbxg_DI8lW/?taken-by=frankclegg

Try to visit his shop in Fall River. I highly recommend it. You can see everything there and will leave with a mountain of respect for his craft. I also got an Aiden duffel and a Compass duffel to match, lined with an inside pocket in each. Totally stock. I am very happy with each. Frank will do anything custom you want.

You should also go to his Instagram where you can see most of his bags in real life almost.

https://instagram.com/frankclegg/

http://frankcleggleatherworks.com/news/spring-summer-2015-lookbook/

I thought the three gusset was tempting but too bulky for me, and all that bulky load comes out a single zipper. I am a big fan of the two gusset version. It carries enough for the way I travel. It is a little small but the outside pockets are very useful for taking things to meetings and leaving them behind. When empty, the bag is thin and very manageable. It stands alone in the meeting under the table. It punches above its size for sure. It might be small for a lawyer. The three gusset is heavier and thicker when empty. You might also look at Frank's Commuter bag. It is a zip top and holds more than you think. It will not stand alone, however, but it was very tempting and could be made bigger on a custom basis. Visit the shop. You won't be sorry.

I would not buy another flap over bag from anybody. I had a nice English version with buckles, wore it out, gave it away, and will never go back again. Too fiddly for me. I would get the three gusset zip top all day long over a flap over bag with buckles.

Another brand you might look at if you need a 7" bag is Glaser Designs. I almost bought one but Frank got the nod. Comparable quality and pricing to Frank and a little more updated in design for today's world of chargers and computers. An easier visit for you from Vancouver, and might be more lawyer friendly if, like me, you hate the idea of a flap over bag.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads