• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with my new Edward Greens

jjgold

Reaction score
Well to my surprise when I got home my Edward Green Blk Southwolds were sitting on the counter. OH MAN!!!!! OH MAN!!!!
bounce2.gif
Anyhow I LOVE these shoes they are EXACTLY what I wanted. They are so elegant in person. Anyhow they seem to fit the front of my foot perfectly! But my heel does slip a bit when I walk. So is there a way to correct this? Maybe with a toungue pad? See I remember when I was on Jermyn St and tried the Greens on. (In Crockett and Lobb I am a 9.5 E) When I tried the Greens on it seems that in the 9.5 E fit my heel well but the front of my foot felt like it was in a sardine can! The salesman at the store said that if the heel was loose than the shoe was too big. But there is NO way I could wear a 9.5E. Do they stretch that much? I ordered 10E but the box is marked 10/10.5E. So should I try a toungue pad? Seems kinda marsupialed that I got these premium shoes yet have to wear a tongue pad. Should I sell em? Is there a size that is the same in the front but more narrow in the heel?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue jj. I tried on a number of sizes at Sky Valet a couple of weeks ago and it was Hetom's estimation that a 10E was my size, but it still wasn't going to fit perfectly. Granted, I only tried the 888 and 82 lasts, which seem to not be for me. Perhaps I'll try the 202 and the 606 next time I'm down there. I LOVE the Greens I purchased, but the fit just isn't right; alas, I must sell them. If you really love them, I'd try tongue pads without actually affixing them to the shoe, to see if they help with your issue. Tongue pads were not sufficient for me as there was still quite a bit of room at the heel.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's how my JL Chapel's fit for the first ten hours of wear (mostly around the house). They're now the best fitting shoes I own. I'm not sure how it happened that the heel got smaller to fit my heel, but it did happen.

sammy

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my EGs and tongue pads did the trick. Give them a try.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
That's how my JL Chapel's fit for the first ten hours of wear (mostly around the house). They're now the best fitting shoes I own. I'm not sure how it happened that the heel got smaller to fit my heel, but it did happen.
I
inlove.gif
Chapels

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been told that when shoes are new, the soles don't bend and/or flex very much when you walk, therefore, the heel slips. Once the shoes somewhat broken in, the soles bend more and the shoes slip less.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
I've been told that when shoes are new, the soles don't bend and/or flex very much when you walk, therefore, the heel slips. Once the shoes somewhat broken in, the soles bend more and the shoes slip less.
Sounds like exactly what happened now that you mention it.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7

This is accurate - whether the fit works or not, however, is contigent on how much space is between the heel and the counter. If it's too much, even the flex will not compensate for the gap. I can fit my finger behind my heel in my EGs, which is too much.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I gotten around this problem of a loose heel in the past by going up a size and narrower on the width. One thing I have learned in buying so many shoes in my life is not to lock yourself in one size. I am sure many of you already understand this but the leaway is much greater than one would imagine.

My range is 9 1/2 to 13 but my actual size is 11. If the shoe fits, you can wear it.

Last year I won two EG's off Ebay and they both had tongue pads in them what a coincidence.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjgold
Well to my surprise when I got home my Edward Green Blk Southwolds were sitting on the counter. OH MAN!!!!! OH MAN!!!!
bounce2.gif
Anyhow I LOVE these shoes they are EXACTLY what I wanted. They are so elegant in person. Anyhow they seem to fit the front of my foot perfectly! But my heel does slip a bit when I walk. So is there a way to correct this? Maybe with a toungue pad? See I remember when I was on Jermyn St and tried the Greens on. (In Crockett and Lobb I am a 9.5 E) When I tried the Greens on it seems that in the 9.5 E fit my heel well but the front of my foot felt like it was in a sardine can! The salesman at the store said that if the heel was loose than the shoe was too big. But there is NO way I could wear a 9.5E. Do they stretch that much? I ordered 10E but the box is marked 10/10.5E. So should I try a toungue pad? Seems kinda marsupialed that I got these premium shoes yet have to wear a tongue pad. Should I sell em? Is there a size that is the same in the front but more narrow in the heel?

It sounds like your best EG size may be 10/10.5D.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking some up.
I did yesterday.
blush.gif

As for the discussion of sole flex, this is entirely accurate. I have found it most pronounced in Alden shell cordovan shoes. When I have tried them on right out of the box, the length has been fine, but my heel has still totally slipped out. The Alden salesman said that it's because the soles are stiff right out of the box but that with wear, the heel will hug your foot. He asked for the shoe and literally bent it in half on itself, loosening up the sole (the shell cordovan, of course, was unaffected by this!) Sure enough, I tried them on again, and now my heel was hugged. Cool!

jjgold

Reaction score
I will try heel pads which should do the trick. At this point the fit problem is negligible and a mere inconvenience....I will post what happens.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heel pads are pointless for heel slippage, IMO. I surmise they only help when the inside surface is "slick" or if the space between your heel and the heel cup is almost negligable . I tried them. The tongue pads, although super adhesive, works much better at improving the fit of the vamp over your instep while pushing your heel back into the heel cup of the shoe. Just be sure if you go that route to place the tongue pad far enough back on the tongue so that it's not visible at its front edge. Why they are made in white felt is beyond me. I would think they would make it a tan leather color to blend in with the inside leather of shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics