• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with my first suit

togglebutton

Reaction score
Since i'm new and inexperienced with suits, i would like to ask for some advice on my recent purchase. I'm going to become a sophomore in college and will be needing a suit. Lucky for me, i came across uniqlo as they were rolling out their new fall line up. I purchased a tasmanian wool blend suit with a friend's employee discount($107). Is anyone knowledgeable about the quality of tasmanian wool blends? I've done some searches and have come up with nothing but fluff descriptions from retailers of tasmanian wool. Seeing that i'm somewhat of an athletical build. ( 5 10" and 155lb's, i lift regularly) would my this suit fill the requirement of a few simple class presentations? Please disregard some wrinkles due to their packaging, I've yet to iron them out. I've also yet to hem the pants accordingly. I'm to open all forms of feedback and advice.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey I just bought one too recently in the gray, what size did you end up getting. You fill out the suit much nicer than I and we share just about the same height/weight measurement.

Is that navy? It looks quite nice. You can find my gray one couple of threads down in the MC forum.

Can;t speak much about alterations aside from hemming the pants as I am learning too. Ah, I am quite jealous of the price you got it at though, I unfortunately had to proxy it.

facet

Reaction score
I have no idea about tasmanian wool; but that suit looks good to me for your purposes. Just have the sleeve and pant lengths altered and you're good to go.

togglebutton

Reaction score
The jacket is a size medium and the pants is a 29. Would this be acceptable in a work environment (ex. internship)?

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it actually looks very good and a great deal better than many others MTM abortions here

tone76

Reaction score
This is probably one of the best cheap suit fits I've seen on here. :slayer:

+1 to shortening sleeves and pants.

I'm not sure how Tasmanian wool is different from other Australian wools, as long as Tasmanian refers to its origin rather than some generic branding.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good - especially for the price.

The jacket sleeves need to be shortened (should be right at the bone in your wrist).

Pants need to be hemmed.

While there ask the alterations tailor if they can take in the back seam a little to clean up the back - if the tailor isn't confident then just don't worry about it. It's good enough for your purposes.:D

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a reason uniqlo gets featured in GQ, and its because they make some nice suits at a good price, in most cases better than H&M who compete price-point/quality wise.

It looks good, just need to alter sleeves.

I was sorta angry that last time my dad was in NY for business he stopped by because I told him about Uniqlo, I was expecting him to bring back a suit for me, as I had asked him before hand. He called me right away and said he was disgusted with the quality and would not be bringing me a suit back. i guess I gotta make a trip myself to SoHo.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
The fit seems ok to me, It dose need a good pressing for sure and don't forgtet the always sometimes never rule when it comes to buttoning the jacket.

togglebutton

Reaction score

The fit seems ok to me, It dose need a good pressing for sure and don't forgtet the always sometimes never rule when it comes to buttoning the jacket.

Excuse me for asking but what is the always sometimes never rule?
And can anyone familiar with tasmanaian wool please shed some light.

hobo_ken

Reaction score

On a 3 button jacket, the sometimes-always-never rule applies to sometimes buttoning the top button, always the middle, and never the bottom one.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tasmanian wool is simply wool from sheep raised in Tasmania (island near Australia).

As there are many grades of wool sheared off of sheep from any given herd the location of origin is of very limited value in terms of determining quality in general.

Although there are very good quality wools are produced in Australia, New Zealand and Tasmania.

The price you paid for the garment does not suggest it is made from very high quality wool in general as the cost of just the finer fabrics for a suit would well exceed what you paid.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks quite nice on you. I've checked those suits in their store. Some details are tacky, say, the "pick-stiching". The fabric has some synthetic content, but that's what you paid for.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah this suit is not 100% wool, and upon further inspection it is actually 98% wool (50% Tasmanian wool, so who knows what's the other 48%) and 2% elastane. Because I personally had to order online and did not get to try the suit in-person, the 2% elastane is what sold me as it 'guaranteed' a good fit. It's not 100% wool as everyone here would recommend, but it is a lot better than any poly blend, etc.

Nevertheless, as others have voiced, it is a nice suit for what you paid and serves your purpose. We can't all go out and pay for MTM, or higher quality garments for suits, especially being the first.

Get it tailored like I did mine, it fits well for the quality, price, and being OTR

Last edited:

togglebutton

Reaction score
Here's a close up picture of the fabric,

Is this more of a casual suit than formal because the quality of the fabric?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics