• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help with my curly hair =P

ethan777

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum. I plan to get a haircut tomorrow. I've wanted to grow my hair out and have been doing so for 6 months now. I haven't had a haircut in about 3 months, so I definitely need to clean this up. I want to keep growing it, so no short cuts! I've usually had short hair. In the end, I want it to flow back with waves. Right now, it just curls up in wierd directions. I have pomade. Any other products I should use, and general styling tips?

Thanks alot, I'm super clueless about these things!

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

When it's long, I'd want it to do something like this... is it at all possible, or just a dream?

curly-long.jpg

ethan777

Reaction score
P.S. if you know any good stylists or barbers in and around Boston MA, let me know! that's where I live

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as long as Matthew's in that pic. You have very tight curls and it won't really work at that length unless you straightened it.

ethan777

Reaction score
someone mentioned i should relax the hair... i looked it up on the web and it sounds quite dangerous. Anyone relaxed their hair before, and how did it affect you?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your hair would look fine long / longer. As your hair gets longer, the curls may relax a bit because of the weight and thickness of your hair. Product will help as well. As far as chemically straightening your hair, the easiest way would be a reverse perm. There would be no need for you to use a real relaxer (with lye) as they are made for black and not caucasion hair. There are other products a salon can use to straighten your hair (that aren't real relaxers with lye). If you want to see what your hair looks like straightened temporarily, you can use a round brush and hair dryer and do it yourself or tell your hair stylist to straighten it for you (with a hair dryer) and you can see what it looks like. As soon as your hair gets wet it'll be curly again. IMO, chemically straightening one's hair isn't all that great. You have cool hair, learn to love and work with what you've got. However, long hair like in the pic is "out" IMO. I'd check out magazines and websites dedicated to hair or fashion and find a bunch of pics that stand out to you and go from there. Pomade is good, gel is good, wax is good... Link Link

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads