• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with my '87 Benz 300E...

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Ed, how many miles on that baby? I'm looking into picking up a mid-late '80's Benz in a couple years. Bad idea for a 20-something?

Under 100k. If you can get one that is relatively mechanically sound, given their low price and looks that have held up, I'd be hard pressed to find a better used car from the late 80's/early 90's. Keep in mind that it is still a benz so parts and repairs aren't cheap/

Originally Posted by Tomasso
Yes, but unfortunately the MB forums are where the answer lies.

I know, I'm just lazy
smile.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Let me give you some more info then
smile.gif
(I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to give money away to a mechanic if I don't have to). Drove it today to my stop, usually I make it there without the temp maxing out but today there was alot of traffic so the gauge maxed out for about 2-3 minutes of driving. Got to my parking spot and I hear a "boiling, bubbling" sound coming from the engine area (hood is closed). I had to leave so I did not have time to open it up and see what was bubbling like that. Any ideas?

I hope you don't like the car. If you are running the temp up that high you are killing it, especially considering the heat soak that occurs when you shut it down hot -- the temps skyrocket because there is no cooling. Are your hoses getting distended when the engine shows that it's hot, to indicate higher pressure in the lines? I ask because I'm surprised it's still running.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads