Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help with looking for shoes.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alias, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Alias

Alias Senior member

I'm interested in a pair of dress shoes, oxfords (balmoral) with chisel toes (or at least a bit squarish) that don't cost over $200-$250. I wear a size 7-7.5 American, so Ebay doesn't really have much to offer me (and the Edward Greens they had on auction ended somewhere in the $500's.) Any suggestions? I'd take up A Harris' wonderful offer on those beautiful Vass shoes, but I don't have $799 lying around [​IMG]

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oooh, that's a tall order. Allen-Edmonds's #4 last isn't exactly chisel-toed, but it does have a tapered, squared-off toe. AE uses that last for a number of their models but only on one bal model that I know of (the Byron): [​IMG] Alden's Plaza last has a soft square shape, but although Alden of Carmel has a number of Alden Fan shoes made in that last, the only regular-issue Alden model made on it is a plain-toe bal: [​IMG] Both AE and Alden shoes retail for around $300, but you may be able to find them for less at factory outlets or online. I bought those AE Byrons online for around $220, if I recall correctly. In addition, you'll a squared-off toe on some English models, including Tricker's 1829 line (seen here on Pediwear's website), which you can pick up for around $230 plus shipping. Others, including Crockett & Jones and Alfred Sargent, certainly have squared-toe shoes in your price range, but I don't know which models are shaped this way and I can't tell from the pictures.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I thought that I saw some chiselled toe shoes on Yoox. Check it out. The styles are a little more modern, though.

4. Alias

Alias Senior member

Thanks, duders. I've heard some good things about Tricker's. I'll go check out the Pediwear site (what a horrible name.)

5. dressgood

dressgood New Member

Check out this pairs of Gravti 7.5 on EBAY, a high end dress shoes. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....y=11503 The shoes are foundation of a gentleman's wardrobe. Dressgood

6. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm very much enamored of Gravati shoes, but that seller's retail price for the shoes is absurd. Unless they're made from peccary or another exotic skin (which these aren't) or Goodyear-welted (which you almost never see unless you special-order them), Gravati shoes will retail between $395 and $435.

7. Alias

Alias Senior member

I've long since learned to ignore quoted "retail prices" by ebay sellers.

8. dressgood

dressgood New Member