• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help with identifying pattern

Casaubon

Reaction score
Whilst browsing ads for used sport coats, I ran into this one which, at first and from a distance, seemed to be made out of a puppytooth fabric. However, in the close-up photos it turns out to be a different kind of weave, one which I am not acquainted with. Does anyone know what this is?

Attachments

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like some kind of variation on a houndstooth.

Casaubon

Reaction score
Thanks, that was my first thought as well. I was just wondering whether it is a variation well established in menswear or not. Searched around a bit but couldn't manage to find anything on my own.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Four point star

Other examples

Casaubon

Reaction score
@dieworkwear On an unrelated note: would you be able to tell whether this is a hard 3 button jacket or a 3-roll-2? Of course, I can ask the seller to take a picture with the top button unbuttoned, but still I was wondering whether one can tell from how the lapel behaves when it is buttoned.

Attachments

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear On an unrelated note: would you be able to tell whether this is a hard 3 button jacket or a 3-roll-2? Of course, I can ask the seller to take a picture with the top button unbuttoned, but still I was wondering whether one can tell from how the lapel behaves when it is buttoned.
No way to know from that photo.

Personally, I think you should pass on that garment. It used to be very difficult to find good tailoring for cheap, but in the last few years, with companies such as Spier & Mackay, it's a lot more accessible. IMO, these vintage suits and sport coats rarely look good on a person.

This specific fabric doesn't look like a good example of four-point star.

Casaubon

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, @dieworkwear. I was on the fence with this one. On the one hand, the fabric is cashmere and the overall cut didn't seem too dated. Still on the other, some details bothered me, like the jetted pockets which I found to be incongruous with the implied casualness of a sport coat.

But the main reason I asked about the buttons is due to the prevalence of three-button suits and jackets in the used market. As a rule, all the buttons are buttoned on the photos, like here. So it's always a process to ask the person to make a new photo, and in most cases it ends up being a hard three which I really dislike, even when it doesn't originate from that terrible 80s-90s department store hell. I was wondering if there are ways to tell even with the buttons done up.

Anyway, most of the used stuff I find is really inexpensive and makes for good experimenting with styles and fits. I'm 32 and I live in a very informal environment, so there's really no pressure for me to build an instant wardrobe filled with on-point tailoring. That being said, I do try to avoid decisions I will instantly regret so I try to think every purchase through.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members