• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with homebuilt computer

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
My new home built PC has a problem. At first time startup, my monitor gets no signal from it. All the fans are running, the lights are good and the DVD drive will open and shut, but nothing is getting to the monitor. Everything is getting power, as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is the video card seated tightly? Is the HDD firing up? Are you getting that "beep" at the end of the POST test?

Logan

Reaction score
Is there a monitor output on your motherboard? Maybe you need to install a driver for the video card to work?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've built a number of boxes but there are real experts here. Have you tried that monitor on another machine? If you're not getting the POST test beep, might be a bad MB.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
My new home built PC has a problem. At first time startup, my monitor gets no signal from it. All the fans are running, the lights are good and the DVD drive will open and shut, but nothing is getting to the monitor. Everything is getting power, as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

• Double check to make sure your DIMMs are seated properly in the slot. Another potential problem is that you didn't read the documentation for the motherboard and failed to install the DIMMs in the correct slots.

• There's a possibility that you connected the power switch lead backwards

• Again, check to make sure your video card is seated properly

• Check to make sure that your CPU fan is seated properly on the CPU and the CPU fan is connected to the motherboard.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you press caps lock and/or num lock on the keyboard, do the indicator lights go on? If so your OS has booted fine and it's only a graphic card/monitor/cable issue.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
The CPU fan was installed by someone who's better at this than me, and it's running full gun so I think it's okay. I just tried re-seating everything (DIMMs included; switched them to the other channel to see if that would help) to no avail.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha nevermind, I'm a moron. This mobo has a configuration where the ATX12v 4 pin power for the CPU itself is sort of hidden off in the corner and I just forgot to plug that in. It's working (or at least booting) now.

Sounds about right.

I was thinking it could have been that your Mobo BIOS doesn't support your CPU (happens with newer gen CPU's like the Thuban's from AMD and older AM2+ mobos) or the ram wasn't in properly.

Glad it's working now.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Haha nevermind, I'm a moron. This mobo has a configuration where the ATX12v 4 pin power for the CPU itself is sort of hidden off in the corner and I just forgot to plug that in. It's working (or at least booting) now.

Yes, power always helps!

I hate having to play with the jumpers to get various things working properly. Always seems like there's one light, fan rpm monitor, or something you just can't get working right.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Common mistake. Glad you got your PC working.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Yup, all good now. Currently humming along at 23C for mobo, 33-34C for CPU, about the same for the graphics, all fan-cooled for the moment (3x200mm + 1x120mm). I bought Dragon Age Origins just to give it a test and it'll run the thing with everything maxed and no problems. All's well that ends well. I was just worried the Ram or GPU were dead, getting a replacement video card would have been okay but finding a 2x4GB ram configuration in this country was enough of a treasure quest the first time around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads