• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with: hip pain

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi -
I have worked out on and off my whole life, but have really stepped it up the last year and a half. My typical weekly schedule is lifting 2-3x a week and cardio 2x week. Over the last month or so I have started to develop some pain in my hip. The pain comes from the inside (eg below my pelvis) It is only one (the right), and feels like it may be at the joint. Anyone have any suggestions.

The only exercises I do that I can think of impacting my hip: Cardio includes running on the treadmill and outside. Squats 2x a week. There hasn't been any meaningful increase in weight or frequency in the last month so I'm not sure why the pain would have started, unless it is starting to show long-term wear. I am 30 yrs old. 6 ft, 160lbs.

Any thoughts/ suggestions? I have never done the elliptical - is that better for your hips as well as knees?
Thanks

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tendinitis...just rest it. Lower reps on exercises and stop when you feel too much pain. Don't run.

There could be any of a multitude of causes (torn cartilage, subluxation, etc.) but if exercise makes it worse then just let the inflammation die down and consider taking an NSAID.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't get better go to an MD - you may have arthritis. I had this problem, and it cropped up when I was relatively young. If it is arthritis you need to treat it as inflammation = degeneration of the joint = hip replacement.

Luckily there are some great drugs for arthritis right now - I haven't had any problems for years.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mega-dose MSM and Vitamin C

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
Hi - I have worked out on and off my whole life, but have really stepped it up the last year and a half. My typical weekly schedule is lifting 2-3x a week and cardio 2x week. Over the last month or so I have started to develop some pain in my hip. The pain comes from the inside (eg below my pelvis) It is only one (the right), and feels like it may be at the joint. Anyone have any suggestions. The only exercises I do that I can think of impacting my hip: Cardio includes running on the treadmill and outside. Squats 2x a week. There hasn't been any meaningful increase in weight or frequency in the last month so I'm not sure why the pain would have started, unless it is starting to show long-term wear. I am 30 yrs old. 6 ft, 160lbs. Any thoughts/ suggestions? I have never done the elliptical - is that better for your hips as well as knees? Thanks
I suggest you see your primary care doctor now.

Serg

Reaction score
Hip pain or injuries can be pretty serious in the long run. See a doctor.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to see an orthopaedist, preferably one who knows a lot about hips. Anterior hip joint pain is a typical sign of arthritis. Groin pain or what feels like deep joint pain can be a sign of a torn hip labrum.

Get thee to a doctor!

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem, but it was just inflammation which went away after a few days. i also started strengthening the muscles in that area which has also helped. if it continues i'd see a doctor, otherwise just give it a little r.i.c.e. for now...

Eagle

Reaction score
Mine was a similar experience...it started out as discomfort such as you describe and over the course of a bit less than a year progressed to the point, pain radiated down the front of my thigh and three to four miles into my runs, upper leg cramps would literally drop me to the ground. It was extremely painful to get in and out of vehicles or to try to straddle a bench/bike/etc. from the left. My family doc referred me to an orthopedist, who advised a hip replacement was in order! I asked for other options and he said I could try taking mega doses of glucosamine chondroitin, in combination with some exercises recommended by a physical therapist. I elected the alternative option and have yet to have the surgery...it's been a year and a half! I'm also able to continue with my cardio program, albeit at a somewhat slower pace.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads