• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help with hanging shirts - shoulder bulges

laxexquis

Reaction score
Hi,

I like to hang my t shirts and polos as opposed to folding them because they get wrinkled and I like being able to slide through them instead of digging to the bottom.

However, using plastic hangers, over a while of sitting the shirts have this big bulges in the should right where the corner of the plastic hanger is on the should.

So, how do I get these out? Should I wash them? Do I have to dry them (I prefer to hang dry them).

Also, what can I do to prevent this from happening?

Thanks
John

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxexquis
Hi,

I like to hang my t shirts and polos as opposed to folding them because they get wrinkled and I like being able to slide through them instead of digging to the bottom.

However, using plastic hangers, over a while of sitting the shirts have this big bulges in the should right where the corner of the plastic hanger is on the should.

So, how do I get these out? Should I wash them? Do I have to dry them (I prefer to hang dry them).

Also, what can I do to prevent this from happening?

Thanks
John

There's your problem. Get better hangers!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBear
There's your problem. Get better hangers!

He'll still have the exact same problem. The issue isn't the hanger, it's the fact that he's trying to hang knits. Any time you hang knits, they stretch. And they will stretch where there is the most pressure, at the end of the hangar. Which means shoulder bulges.

To get them out, just wash and dry 'em. Cotton will pretty much reset, at least for a while. If you keep stretching it like that it'll lose its elasticity and stay stretched.

The permanent solution is to fold them. Unless you're cramming them into drawer with way too many other shirts, they won't wrinkle. Perhaps try putting them on a shelf where you can see the full stack and look through them that way.

Fold knits, hang weaves.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you like the hangers for convenience, but a good alternative might be shelf inserts that allow you to see all the shirts without stacking them too high. That or shallower drawers.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.