• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with graduation attire. Gingham too informal?

Is gingham too informal for a graduation brunch?

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 88.9%

• Total voters

jawboneofa

Reaction score
Without a doubt, Treehorn. The kid doesn't need "remediation", despite your insistence to the contrary.

OP, the shirt will be fine. Wear it with grey slacks, throw on a blue blazer if you can, and pick a simpler tie. Oh, and ignore the trolls. Soon enough, they'll return to whatever southpark episode they were watching before you posted this thread.

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
Doesn't he?
I'll post this once more,

I am still unaware of where you are getting this idea that I am some ignorant fool. You claim I am uneducated, calling this a 'fact' well the FACT is you are un-educated as well. Education is a lifelong process and there is always room for improvement. However you come at me saying I should stay behind, without having even met me nor provide a genuine basis for your argument.

Maybe you might consider a career as a preacher, I don't mean to offend any religious folk on these forums however your ability to provide firm so called 'facts' without any actual reason/proof is unbelievable.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll post this once more,

I am still unaware of where you are getting this idea that I am some ignorant fool. You claim I am uneducated, calling this a 'fact' well the FACT is you are un-educated as well. Education is a lifelong process and there is always room for improvement. However you come at me saying I should stay behind, without having even met me nor provide a genuine basis for your argument.

Maybe you might consider a career as a preacher, I don't mean to offend any religious folk on these forums however your ability to provide firm so called 'facts' without any actual reason/proof is unbelievable.

I do not think you a fool. Quite the contrary; I think you intelligent and wise enough to accept the need for remedy. A sacrifice today, in service of your future, is a small price to pay. Do what must be done.

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
I do not think you a fool. Quite the contrary; I think you intelligent and wise enough to accept the need for remedy. A sacrifice today, in service of your future, is a small price to pay. Do what must be done.
Once again no basis for this argument, please take your time elsewhere as you are a disservice to the thread and an overall distraction to the topic at hand. I think its fair to say that you are no longer welcome here.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Once again no basis for this argument, please take your time elsewhere as you are a disservice to the thread and an overall distraction to the topic at hand. I think its fair to say that you are no longer welcome here.

Aren't I?

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
Aren't I?
Based on the fact that you have been labelled an obnoxious asshole and a troll several times, I think it's fair to say you serve no use to this thread.

You claim I am in need of remediation and must seek remedy based on that fact that I am unsure of how to coordinate an outfit to an event, of which is uncharted territory in my books.

Here is what I had posted before you commented,

I'll cut right to the chase. Is a purple checkered/gingham dress shirt too informal to wear to a graduation mass and brunch?

I have to wear the same shirt to both as they are back to back events. The brunch is at an upscale banquet hall.

Is gingham more of a casual fabric? BTW this is a high school graduation if that makes a difference.

Also if I do opt for the gingham shirt, what do I wear as pants? Will my charcoal dark grey suit pants be ok?

ALSO, I do not plan on wearing the shirt with my suit jacket, simply the shirt and tie as I believe a full suit would be overly formal in this case

Bring to my attention one instance of where it would be fair to say I am in need of 'remediation' as you claim.

Im going to withhold my manners for one moment and say you are indeed an 'obnoxious asshole'. However I will thank you for entertaining myself and everyone else who has been following this thread. I will now say that any further comments made by you will be left un-responded to as you are simply no longer worth my time. Have a nice life.

Last edited:

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
Now that I got that out of the way, might I please bring to everyones attention the real reason we are here, which is to answer my questions. I am still open to suggestions as there is still a bit of time left before the event and I will entertain anything you might have in mind. I would also like to take this time to thank everyone has provided knowledgeable information to me so far.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Based on the fact that you have been labelled an obnoxious asshole and a troll several times, I think it's fair to say you serve no use to this thread.

You claim I am in need of remediation and must seek remedy based on that fact that I am unsure of how to coordinate an outfit to an event, of which is uncharted territory in my books. 

Here is what I had posted before you commented,

I'll cut right to the chase. Is a purple checkered/gingham dress shirt too informal to wear to a graduation mass and brunch?

I have to wear the same shirt to both as they are back to back events. The brunch is at an upscale banquet hall.

Is gingham more of a casual fabric? BTW this is a high school graduation if that makes a difference.

Also if I do opt for the gingham shirt, what do I wear as pants? Will my charcoal dark grey suit pants be ok?

ALSO, I do not plan on wearing the shirt with my suit jacket, simply the shirt and tie as I believe a full suit would be overly formal in this case

Bring to my attention one instance of where it would be fair to say I am in need of 'remediation' as you claim

Im going to withhold my manners for one moment and say you are indeed an 'obnoxious asshole'. However I will thank you for entertaining myself and everyone else who has been following this thread. I will now say that any further comments made by you will be left un-responded to as you are simply no longer worth my time. Have a nice life.

no need to be a prick, imo.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Im going to withhold my manners for one moment and say you are indeed an 'obnoxious asshole'.

Your lack of manners betrays your dire need for remediation. Would you not concur? I am simply giving voice to what you know, secretly, to be true.

Do what must be done.

Last edited:

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
You people are getting trolled so hard....
He's really starting to annoy me. It almost like he's secretly been watching me all my life and finally found my name on the web and is now trying to intervene in my life by hiding behind a keyboard and acting as my 'guardian angel, but in the end this guys seems never fails to have "the answer". However when it comes to any sort of reason or logic to support his outlandish statements he fails miserably, repeating the same uninformed statements

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That which isn't fed dies.

That which you resist persists.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
He's really starting to annoy me. It almost like he's secretly been watching me all my life and finally found my name on the web and is now trying to intervene in my life by hiding behind a keyboard and acting as my 'guardian angel, but in the end this guys seems never fails to have "the answer". However when it comes to any sort of reason or logic to support his outlandish statements he fails miserably, repeating the same uninformed statements

And now you add paranoia to a long list of traits, including rudeness, unpreparedness, and sartorial ignorance, that bespeak your need for remedy.

Hold yourself back. Do what must be done.

I don't know you, but your words paint an accurate picture of the man you are now. Do a favor to the man you will become, and accept my advice while you still have the year to give. It's only a year. It'll do you a lifetime of good.

Last edited:

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
And now you add paranoia to a long list of traits, including rudeness, unpreparedness, and sartorial ignorance, that bespeak your need for remedy. Hold yourself back. I don't know you, but your words paint an accurate picture of the man you are now. Do a favor to the man you will become, and accept my advice while you still have the year to give.
Listen you came at me saying I needed 'remedy' with all me having said was that I need some suggestions for appropriate dress for the event. You call me unprepared when I am currently in the process of resolving this by asking some men who have experience attending events of similar formality if you will. How else is it that I would be prepared for such an event, I am asking for suggestions 2 weeks in advance of the event so I am not worrying about this the night before. You call me rude when I excused my manners to quote what others had agreed upon, and you claim paranoia is setting in when a man whom I have not met in my life, claims I am in need of 'remedy' when I have not stated anything previous that would warrant such remark on your behalf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads