1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help with graduation attire. Gingham too informal?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CDNstyle740, May 27, 2012.

Is gingham too informal for a graduation brunch?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    88.9%
  1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Now - back to the clothes if we may please.

1 person likes this.
  2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Canadian.

3. CDNstyle740

CDNstyle740 Well-Known Member

Don't be so sure I am unaware of these things. I enjoy reading up on fashion, in particular reading up on the history of formal wear traditions and if my memory serves me correctly a lounge suit is also referred to as a morning coat and is similar in style to an American business suit. Then again I could be wrong, which I most likely am.

4. CDNstyle740

I am still unaware of where you are getting this idea that I am some ignorant fool. You claim I am uneducated, calling this a 'fact' well the FACT is you are un-educated as well. Education is a lifelong process and there is always room for improvement. However you come at me saying I should stay behind, without having even met me nor provide a genuine basis for your argument. I might be inclined to say I am a cut above the rest of my peers and am in agreeance with Gdot where he asks the question, how many of my peers actually care about what they will be wearing?The answer only a handful, I simply was seeking some advice so I could make an educated decision based on the advice of some 'real-men' if you will, and not have to follow the high-school norms of black unbuttoned dress shirts and loose fitting white ties.

5. CDNstyle740

And judging by Mr. Treehorn's Avatar as well as his listed location, I believe it is fair to say he is far from 'enlightened' and may be in some need of 'remediation' himself. However this is a style forum quite literally and I think we are forgetting why we are here. I would like some suggestions for the event which is in less than 2 weeks and if you believe what I have selected at the moment is appropriate please vote on the poll, or provide feedback here. Thanks

6. facet

facet Senior member

Oh, give me a break.

OP, the shirt is fine, JT is just f*ing around with you. Congratulations on your graduation and enjoy the moment.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  7. plei89

plei89 Senior member

8. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I will be monitoring this thread closely

9. CDNstyle740

As am I new to this forum, new as in I joined today, will you be monitoring because I am violating some sort of terms of the forum unknown to me, or because back and forth action is just that interesting?

10. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Naw, just gonna get out the popcorn.

1 person likes this.
  11. CDNstyle740

musicguy, Is there anything you might suggest I wear to the event? I know its only high-school graduation but, I can't have a repeat of elementary school graduation, over the years Iv'e taken more pride, I guess you could say, in what I wear and would like to find something that is classy/memorable in the right ways.

12. jc4jax

jc4jax Well-Known Member

Don't feed the trolls.
    Try a stripe tie maybe with your shirt and see if you like it. As for color coordination, you can try using these charts

13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Now - back again to the norms of the occasion.

As it appears from your response that 'suits' will not be worn by all we can go back to what to wear.

If suits are going to be worn among only a small minority of the graduates, as I surmise from your response, I suggest you consider the following: a navy blue jacket, trousers as deemed appropriate by climate/tempurature, solid white shirt and simple tie, if you feel you should wear a pocket square keep it simple.

The idea here to be dressed not too formally (and look overdone). Out do them by doing whatever level of formality you wish to wear with restraint and elegance. Do not outdo them in formality. The former equals 'class' while the latter equals 'trying too hard'.

I feel sorry for young guys today. Now that the rules have broken down in terms of what is proper and not proper for important occasions the decisions have become much more complicated than they were previously.

14. Cambel

Cambel Active Member

You really can't go wrong with the above mentioned ensemble, so I second.

But if you don't have the time or money between now and graduation to assemble all of that, I think the gingham shirt and tie will look good. I also think your charcoal suit pants would go well. Knowing the range of attire for 'formal' occasions these days, you will neither be the most dressed up nor the least, which is a good place to be.

Have fun.

15. GBR

GBR Senior member

The event is not that big a deal but what has a Mass got to do with graduation? Little I would have thought.

The hall you illustrate has the chairs covered in Chinese fashion and appears informal. Wear the thing, it will be fine.

16. CDNstyle740

Unfortunately I go to a Catholic school at a mass before the brunch is part of the whole whole shindig so I need suggestions for something appropriate for both places

17. GBR

GBR Senior member

Whether or not you can avoid such a misplaced Mass I know not but wear the shirt, tie and dark trousers (half a suit not ideal but better than chinos or cotton) to both with confidence. Ignore the crap which seems to have crept into this thread.

18. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I can't imagine anyone who don't wear a jacket for their education in Hong Kong or United Kingdom, however not so sure in everywhere else

I would wear a full lounge suit plus tie and ps for that day, because I will feel comfortable in it

But if you aren't, go with what you think, that is the 'rule'

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  19. Keough1206

Keough1206 Member

And for the love of God don't skimp on the shoes! I guarantee that at least half of your peers who look well dressed/presentable will totally botch their footwear decision.

20. CDNstyle740

Yes after looking through the yearbook, the trend seems to be atrocious, square-toed, white leather slip ons