• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with graduation attire. Gingham too informal?

Is gingham too informal for a graduation brunch?

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 88.9%

• Total voters

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
I do not know your local culture and norms enough to say exactly.
Will a lounge suit be the norm amongst your peers?
I am from Canada and I noticed you were from Georgia so its safe to say we both follow the same 'cultural norms' at least in terms of Western Civilization. And looking through the past yearbooks the men at the graduation brunch all seem to wear dress slacks and a solid colour shirt, and tie, with a handful of graduates wearing a full suit.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is no shame in remediation. I did not mean to insult you, but rather, to place you on a proper course of self-discipline, correction, and uplift. The fact remains that you have not been educated. Not completely. Not yet. Do what must be done.

I suggest that in fact, the young man is indeed showing maturity and self discipline by seeking advice in private (internet). He thus may well stand a chance of making a good decision AND making it appear to all as if he already knows exactly how to dress for such occasions. Based on my perception of the fashion sense of most high school graduates this will place him no where near the bottom of the heap in any regards. As a matter of fact more likely quite near the top.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I suggest that in fact, the young man is indeed showing maturity and self discipline by seeking advice in private (internet). He thus may well stand a chance of making a good decision AND making it appear to all as if he already knows exactly how to dress for such occasions. Based on my perception of the fashion sense of most high school graduates this will place him no where near the bottom of the heap in any regards. As a matter of fact more likely quite near the top.

He may well be of sound mind and character, but he must prove it to himself by doing what must be done. I have faith that he will meet the need for remedy and emerge a better young man for it.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He may well be of sound mind and character, but he must prove it to himself by doing what must be done. I have faith that he will meet the need for remedy and emerge a better young man for it.

fair enough.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Will a lounge suit be the norm amongst your peers?

I am trying to picture this wording being delivered to an American being graduated from school in 2012, and I am enjoying the imagery.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now - back to the clothes if we may please.

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
I am trying to picture this wording being delivered to an American being graduated from school in 2012, and I am enjoying the imagery.
Don't be so sure I am unaware of these things. I enjoy reading up on fashion, in particular reading up on the history of formal wear traditions and if my memory serves me correctly a lounge suit is also referred to as a morning coat and is similar in style to an American business suit. Then again I could be wrong, which I most likely am.

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
I am still unaware of where you are getting this idea that I am some ignorant fool. You claim I am uneducated, calling this a 'fact' well the FACT is you are un-educated as well. Education is a lifelong process and there is always room for improvement. However you come at me saying I should stay behind, without having even met me nor provide a genuine basis for your argument. I might be inclined to say I am a cut above the rest of my peers and am in agreeance with Gdot where he asks the question, how many of my peers actually care about what they will be wearing?The answer only a handful, I simply was seeking some advice so I could make an educated decision based on the advice of some 'real-men' if you will, and not have to follow the high-school norms of black unbuttoned dress shirts and loose fitting white ties.

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
And judging by Mr. Treehorn's Avatar as well as his listed location, I believe it is fair to say he is far from 'enlightened' and may be in some need of 'remediation' himself. However this is a style forum quite literally and I think we are forgetting why we are here. I would like some suggestions for the event which is in less than 2 weeks and if you believe what I have selected at the moment is appropriate please vote on the poll, or provide feedback here. Thanks

facet

Reaction score

There is no shame in remediation. I did not mean to insult you, but rather, to place you on a proper course of self-discipline, correction, and uplift. The fact remains that you have not been educated. Not completely. Not yet. Do what must be done.

Oh, give me a break.

OP, the shirt is fine, JT is just f*ing around with you. Congratulations on your graduation and enjoy the moment.

Last edited:

CDNstyle740

Reaction score
I will be monitoring this thread closely
As am I new to this forum, new as in I joined today, will you be monitoring because I am violating some sort of terms of the forum unknown to me, or because back and forth action is just that interesting?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads