• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with first pair of Allen Edmonds, quality normal?

PROFusioNZ

Reaction score
Tan shoes require the right wardrobe. For the purpose of narrowing the discussion and making it more manageable, I'll only talk about classic men's style. Things are different in other aesthetics (more on this later).

But let's focus on classic men's style. I think these looks are bad:

Thanks wholeheartedly for taking the time to write this post and for all the examples. There's a lot to digest and I have a lot to learn. Agreed won't work with black pants/suit. I was under the impression that the "tan" shoes do work with navy and darker blue suits.:

Attachments

• 22bd083cbd5d8c7ee149512bf046f1d0.jpg
    22bd083cbd5d8c7ee149512bf046f1d0.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 60288e592fbd447ed16f866d8488e162.jpg
    60288e592fbd447ed16f866d8488e162.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Guide-to-Blue-Suit-Shoes.jpg
    Guide-to-Blue-Suit-Shoes.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 11
  • f148fdda7a54fe313ba6a7f80dee5510.jpg
    f148fdda7a54fe313ba6a7f80dee5510.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 42
  • suit-dress-shirt-oxford-shoes-original-16378.jpg
    suit-dress-shirt-oxford-shoes-original-16378.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 41

PROFusioNZ

Reaction score
I think it would be helpful to know how you plan to wear them as well and what you’d want to pair it with. DWW posted some examples - If you’re thinking of something you can wear with a sport coat or a suit that’s a different need than mostly denim/chinos and occasionally trousers and a jacket. A medium to dark brown will be more versatile if you’re just starting. Signed, a guy who has a pair of double monks in a lighter shade of medium brown sitting in a box in my closet that get worn maybe once a year.

I have a navy suit I wanted to wear them with (not formal ocassions) and chinos in a range of colors. Well, Allen Edmonds had these double monks in either black or walnut. If they had a darker brown (like their chili), I would of preferred them. My next pair of shoes will be a darker brown color, not black for now.

E. coli

Reaction score
My $0.02- You paid for first quality AE at MSRP, what you received based on your pictures are not. Don't settle, perhaps it's a blessing in disguise an opportunity to take the good advice by fellow SFer's!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks wholeheartedly for taking the time to write this post and for all the examples. There's a lot to digest and I have a lot to learn. Agreed won't work with black pants/suit. I was under the impression that the "tan" shoes do work with navy and darker blue suits.:

I think all those outfits would look better with shoes in dark brown, mid-brown, or black.

Betta

Reaction score
As others have said, creases and minor scuffs ok. But that welt, is that on the toe? I would return these.

img_20210422_134044__01-jpg.1598040

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my shoes cost what my cars cost I’d probably have different standards. ?‍♂️

standards shouldn’t change based on what something costs.

Besides, I’ve always felt that as AE continues to raise prices yet fail to enact better QC, they would start bumping up against other brands costing the same or less but offering a more interesting and, quite frankly, better made product.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you actually treat every purchase as though it's a $50,000 car? That seems exhausting.

I’m simply saying that the price of something should not affect ones standards and expectations.

By the way, $400 is a lot of money for a pair of shoes. We look past that here since we post about shoes costing 4x, but one can get a pair of shoes as well from Kohl’s for 1/5 or less the price.

This was the OP’s first nice pair of shoes. He should expect better and he should know how to distinguish quality from crap. Those shoes are crap. The leather is indented, I don’t know what’s going on the toe with that crackling and the offset placement of the heel tap makes for an outright dangerous situation.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
For $400 I think it's reasonable to expect a pair of shoes without any obvious manufacturing errors. This pair has at least two (I wouldn't count the buckle indentation, as that would develop through wear anyway), so I wouldn't be too pleased.

I also agree with DWW about the tan. I like the colour of this pair - it looks like it has a nice depth to it that I think could age well, whereas tan can often be quite flat - but for my first good pair I'd want something as versatile as possible.

efta

Reaction score
I probably would return as well. Unless MiUSA is a big concern for you, I would look towards other brands, as that price range is probably one of the most competitive brackets in the market. You can find great shoes and not so great shoes at the same price. I would personally not accept what you received; especially if the price was 400 usd.

I also agree with tan shoes, they were a fashion statement ~15 years ago which has somehow remained in the shoemakers' repertoire. Im not going to say that you should never wear/buy tan shoes, but they are often sold as being versatile, when in reality they aren't. They 'can' work with lighter blue-suits but are way to high-contrast with darker, navy. Their usability with suits are therefor very limited. The area where they "work" is with light-and mid colored odd trousers (which, again, means their usability is fairly limited as they're competing with, say, suede loafers etc).

OPs shoes, however, look more chestnut (ie with a reddish hue) and not tan. However, I would definitely advise OP that his choice of shoe (a chestnut monkstrap) is not a good one. Boring as it is, I would advise to go with either oxfords (for formal use) or loafers (for casualwear) if it is your first purchase of "quality" shoes.

efta

Reaction score
There’s a place for tan shoes in a man’s wardrobe. Just not with a navy suit.

I would (personally) argue that there isn't such a place. Chestnut, might have; but its a very small one.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would (personally) argue that there isn't such a place. Chestnut, might have; but its a very small one.

well, I lump chestnut in with tan I suppose. Shades of light brown, how about that?

efta

Reaction score
well, I lump chestnut in with tan I suppose. Shades of light brown, how about that?

I understand that; and I realise that its quite common to do so. I haven't really looked that close, but as far as I can see, many images of supposedly "tan" shoes are in fact chestnut.

When referring to tan shoes, I think of light brown shoes with a yellow-beige-orange hue. Chestnut have more of a reddish hue. Both have various shades of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads