• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help with first pair of Allen Edmonds, quality normal?

PROFusioNZ

Reaction score
Hi, excited to have purchased my first pair of quality shoes. They are Allen Edmonds (ordered new online). I've noticed a few issues and wanted to know if these are ok/normal or should it be of concern? Thanks for any help/insights.

Attachments

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't sweat it. Shoes look better when they're old and have a heavy patina. With luck, they will look much "worse" than that with age.

Also, this is a mood:

IMG_20210422_134502.jpeg

PROFusioNZ

Reaction score
thanks for the response, so these are basically what you'd expect from a pair of shoes for $400 retail?

Here is the other sole for reference (the "smile" is actually centered, where the other one is all the way to the edge):
IMG_20210422_144613.jpg

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the response, so these are basically what you'd expect from a pair of shoes for $400 retail?

Here is the other sole for reference (the "smile" is actually centered, where the other one is all the way to the edge): View attachment 1598056
Sometimes better sometimes worse. More or less normal. As for your initial question about anything to be concerned about - I don’t see anything that would be a concern to me as far as durability, longevity etc. Shoes are meant to be worn. They’ll crease and change and wear as you wear them.

PROFusioNZ

Reaction score
Sometimes better sometimes worse. More or less normal. As for your initial question about anything to be concerned about - I don’t see anything that would be a concern to me as far as durability, longevity etc. Shoes are meant to be worn. They’ll crease and change and wear as you wear them.
thanks for the insight. appreciated!

Rbpp

Reaction score
I don't really know about AE, but isn't the welt stitching (the one that should be "inside") visible at the front of the shoes ?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look like shit! Send them back.

Those Dainite soles look as though they were rejected from use on any other pair of shoes and ended up getting scooped up by AE.

Duke Santos

Reaction score
A small blemish here and there is going to be acceptable at that price. That offset Dainite heel though is enough to send them back no matter what the rest of the shoe looks like.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Here is the other sole for reference (the "smile" is actually centered, where the other one is all the way to the edge): View attachment 1598056
It personally wouldn't bother me, but I think people have different expectations.

I think the point of good shoes is that they should create good outfits and last a long time. In that regard, I don't think there are any serious issues. No one is going to look at your welt up close. The off-center heel is not going to create problems for you walking.

If I can make a friendly suggestion, however, I think you might do better in a different style. Tan double monks are going to be hard to wear in a way that looks stylish and not 2010 #menswear.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he paid $400 for those, I’d expect much better. If they were listed as seconds, then buyer beware, but for $400 those are supposed to be first quality. If that’s first quality, then we should just shelve AE right next to Cole Haan.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If he paid $400 for those, I’d expect much better. If they were listed as seconds, then buyer beware, but for $400 those are supposed to be first quality. If that’s first quality, then we should just shelve AE right next to Cole Haan.
Welcome to American manufacturing. Many American factories suffer from quality control issues. The constant nit picking and returning only further makes it difficult for these places to operate. If people want more from $400 shoes, that's obviously on them. I'm just saying that many American factories are challenged by these issues.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I remember chatting with the owner of a small MTM shirt company that used Garland as their factory. For those unfamiliar, Garland was the shirt factory in North Carolina owned by Brooks Brothers (I think the factory has either been sold or is in the process of being sold).

When Brooks Brothers was sold, this person mentioned all the problems related to working with that factory -- the quality control, turnaround times, etc. Working with the overseas TAL factory, by contrast, was better in every way. MTM shirts are delivered faster; there are rarely flaws. Quality was better. He got a lower return rate. Customers were satisfied.

If he were to continue selling MiUSA shirts, customers would have to be willing to pay more and put up with small quality control issues and/ or slower turnaround times. This person thought that was maybe tenable ten years ago when MiUSA was a trend, but not now.

Often see this with Allen Edmonds. People mostly shop on seconds. They want mainline shoes to be flawless (many are shoe enthusiasts with unrealistic expectations for shoes). The company is getting squeezed by many overseas competitors in the mid-market. Then customers complain that Allen Edmonds has "lost their way" when their demographic didn't broadly support the company in the first place.

Anyway, this is tangential to the OP's question. I think the shoes are fine.

Jmr928

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to American manufacturing. Many American factories suffer from quality control issues. The constant nit picking and returning only further makes it difficult for these places to operate. If people want more from $400 shoes, that's obviously on them. I'm just saying that many American factories are challenged by these issues.
Never mind the fact that AE is nearly constantly offering 50% off sales that guys have become accustomed to and would freak out if that went away and they ended up having to pay the 395 or whatever the actual MSRP is.

dukenukem4ever

Reaction score

We’re these shoes seconds? They might have slipped through quality control. For 395 you’re better off with TLB or Carmines.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy