• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with first MTM

bvbellomo

Reaction score
I wanted to try MTM, proper cloth gives the advice:

You have a shirt that fits, but don’t trust your ability to measure: Mail us a shirt to copy

If you’ve never had a shirt that fits right and you have a unique shape: Measure your Body

Good advice, but I've never had a good fitting shirt and don't trust my ability to measure. Mostly I am worried about a huge error - I will give the width of a body part when they want the circumference, or vice versa and end up with an 18 inch or 72 inch waist.

If I post measurements here, can someone do a sanity check? I am not that unusual, if our society was in better shape, I could be called average. But off the rack shirts have too much extra fabric around the middle or are too tight in the shoulders. I am not looking for a perfect fit on the first shirt, just something wearable and eventually to make small adjustments and buy near perfect MTM shirts the rest of my life.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Go to your friendly local tailor you frequent and ask their help

bvbellomo

Reaction score
Tailor, yes I think our town had one between the fletcher and the blacksmith. But I haven't seen them around for the last hundred years or so.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Alterations shop then. The ones that take up your sleeves and such. Print out the form you need to fill in and bring it in.

If you don’t have one you frequent, like mine know me by sight, then offer them a couple bucks to help you

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never ordered from Proper Cloth but the instructions and videos look very straightforward. That being said, I agree with @jaxenro that to be sure, I'd recommend visiting an alterations tailor. I live in a relatively small city (100K people) and there are at least 5 alterations tailors here that I can think of off the top of my head. Failing that, have a friend measure you with the help of the videos on their website. Don't try measuring yourself.

bvbellomo

Reaction score
There are a few dry cleaners that do repairs and will shorten a cuff if needed, most don't speak English very well. There are places like "Men's Warehouse" and wedding places that will measure - I've had less than great experiences measured for weddings. Rather than try to pay them to measure me to buy from what they probably see as a competitor, I did my own.

I started with Proper Cloth, and felt pretty good except for the arm width. I have very skinny arms for a guy who benches 265lbs, but compared to the general population, my arms are average. The minimum proper cloth would do is 8.75 sleeve width, and I measure shirts with sleeves wider than I want at 8 inches. So I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong.

I tried Luxire, used the same measurements with a 13 inch arm circumference. But they want a "bottom circumference" which is poorly explained on their site and could be the width around the top of my thighs, my butt, or lower waist, on me, these are very different numbers. I put 39 inches, which should be safe with a 36 waist tucked in.

In the end, I went with Luxire only because it was $35, vs twice that for proper cloth. Seems better than spending time finding a place to measure me, paying them too, and still having a good chance the first shirt won't be the way I want. I think the second shirt will be easier, as I will be making adjustments to numbers I already have based on how it fits.

jaxenro

Reaction score
When I did shirts I used Natty Shirts if you buy 5 @ $30 you get a 6th free plus they send a “try shirt” first so you adjust the measurements

bvbellomo

Reaction score
When I did shirts I used Natty Shirts if you buy 5 @ $30 you get a 6th free plus they send a “try shirt” first so you adjust the measurements

I would have done this if you posted it last night, but really isn't that much better. Best case is $150 gets me 5 perfect shirts and I know my sizing. But I've heard nothing about Natty before your post and am skeptical of the quality of a $30 MTM shirt, and worst case is $150 just to know my size which may or may not carry over to other vendors. And if my first impression of the trial shirt is that it feels great and looks great, I may easily decide it is too restrictive for movement in a few weeks, wrinkles in the wrong way, or has excess fabric somewhere I don't want - then I am stuck with 5 shirts I don't want.

The way I did it, worst case is I get something that is so completely wrong the only thing I learn is everyone telling me not to measure myself was right - but I am only out $35. And while I've read both very good and very bad reviews about Luxire, I know measurements will carry to Proper Cloth and probably other vendors. When I like a shirt, I can wear it as long as I want before ordering another.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Natty does singles as well

I have a review posted here somewhere so I won’t repeat it but I have a half dozen from them and will probably order another six

bvbellomo

Reaction score
It finally arrived!
front.JPG

left.JPG

Not bad for a first try measuring myself. This is definitely something I can wear. It fits better than it looks because:
1) I made no attempt to smooth wrinkles after being shipped from India. It isn't so much bunched up because it is the wrong size, as it is just bunched up. I need to repost after ironing.
2) The sleeves are pushed up a little. They might be a little long, but aren't bad if I pull them down. I'd still go a quarter inch or half inch shorter and go wider on the cuffs, especially around a watch.
3) These pants and belt are too big, so it isn't tucked right.
4) I still have too much belly. I need to keep losing weight rather than change the shirt for this.
5) I could make the bottom a half inch narrower.

It definitely feels better than the shirts I have now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads