• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with finding a good Pea Coat on Black Friday?

folk

Reaction score
Hello all!
I've been wanting to get a Pea Coat, and with Black Friday coming up, I really want to pick one up.
I bought one last week from Old Navy for $30 but it's a bit big and the quality wasn't really that great. I've talked to my parents and they're giving me a budget of <$200.
With that in mind, do you guys have any suggestions for Pea Coats in that price range? This will be on Black Friday (or Cyber Monday but I'm REALLY bad at measuring myself so I'd prefer to try it on) so discounts and stuff will also apply.
I'm a high school student, 5'11 with shoes and I weight 130 lbs so I'm pretty skinny. Also, I live in Texas so winters don't get too terribly cold but still pretty chilly at times.
Thanks!

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a real USA made pea coat from your local Army/Navy store. I got mine a few years back for about $60. The real thing is above and beyond the knock-offs.

folk

Reaction score
Buy a real USA made pea coat from your local Army/Navy store. I got mine a few years back for about $60. The real thing is above and beyond the knock-offs.
Hey man thanks for the reply!

My suit size is a 34R (not sure if this helps) and I have to wear XS and extra-slim at most stores to make it even contour to my body usually. Do you think those Navy/Army stores carry coats that are small enough to accommodate me?

MSTRKRFT

Reaction score
Hey man thanks for the reply!

My suit size is a 34R (not sure if this helps) and I have to wear XS and extra-slim at most stores to make it even contour to my body usually. Do you think those Navy/Army stores carry coats that are small enough to accommodate me?

Do you happen to know what is the size of your chest? Like the above recommendations, I own a few pea coats and the vintage one beats them all in terms of quality of the material (very nice drape/hand feel to the wool), the construction (keep in mind, these are being made for the US Navy - very strict/high standards), and look. The thing is though, with you being in Texas, I can't imagine you needing a very heavy wool coat. Regardless, if you want a pea coat, you should go for the real thing, as the ones in the retail stores you are paying more for the name, low quality wool-poly blends (getting harder to find pure wool coats without paying a nice sum), and maybe some unique "fashionable" features like epaulets. You seem to be very thin, and this might be problematic, because they are not exactly slim fit and meant to be filled out to by more muscular/heft men. Next, you being a 34R, it's harder to find vintage ones in those sizes and they might price it a bit higher since there might be more demand. Still, you can probably find one <$100, and then spend a little bit to get it tailored and you are left with a much better pea coat then you would pick up in a retail store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads