Help with Fabrics.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kcgreg, Mar 23, 2006.

1. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

I recently joined the forum last year in July before the crash took place and have learnt a lot from the forum. Very appreciative.

I would like to know the best wool fabrics for suits to go by. I have been told that super 120's and 150's do the job and they last but anything finer like 180's are very delicate and you have to be careful with what you wear.[​IMG]

Is this true?

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I would like to know the best wool fabrics for suits to go by. I have been told that super 120's and 150's do the job and they last but anything finer like 180's are very delicate and you have to be careful with what you wear.[​IMG]

Is this true?

If you must play the 100's game, and I know many well dressed men who won't, you needn't go past 100. Of course you know that it's the quality of the milling and not the # that really counts. The #'s are for marketing purposes.

3. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

The # rule that many live by is the ply - a 2x2 Carlo Barbera 120s will have a lot more spring, softness (and durability) than a 2X1 Loro Piana 140s.

The other thing to think about is the weight of the cloth - a 8-9oz cloth will be lighter and have less body than a heavier (11-12oz) cloth of the same 100s #.

The trick is to balance the weight of the cloth to your actual wear conditions, which usually keeps one from going much beyond a 12-14oz cloth.