• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with dips!

aleeboy

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been progressing well with dips and am now able to do a high number of reps with ease. I was in the gym the other day doing some weighted dips with dumbbells. My current technique is to have two dumbbells standing together and I would lower myself to pick the top one off and hold it in place with my feet. I need to flex my foot up so as to prevent the dumbbell from slipping off. This is great, but I was wondering if anyone here knew of a better way to hold the dumbbells in place? I only ask coz I remember seeing a guy one time who was able to cross his feet and bend his knees. The importance here is that you can remain better balanced and be able to manage a heavier load.

Weight belts, chains are not really an option for me...

Please share if you know how to hold dumbbells in place.

Thanks,
AL

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
Hi,

I've been progressing well with dips and am now able to do a high number of reps with ease. I was in the gym the other day doing some weighted dips with dumbbells. My current technique is to have two dumbbells standing together and I would lower myself to pick the top one off and hold it in place with my feet. I need to flex my foot up so as to prevent the dumbbell from slipping off. This is great, but I was wondering if anyone here knew of a better way to hold the dumbbells in place? I only ask coz I remember seeing a guy one time who was able to cross his feet and bend his knees. The importance here is that you can remain better balanced and be able to manage a heavier load.

Weight belts, chains are not really an option for me...

Please share if you know how to hold dumbbells in place.

Thanks,
AL

Dips are a great workout even if you are an advanced bodybuilder as it can really stretch out your chest and burn your triceps. To answer your question, the best way is to wear a belt and hook from the buckle a chain to hook up a few 20 Kg plates or a heavy dumbbell and you can feel your chest stretch and burrnn.

By contorting your body and bending your knees and thighs to hold the weight there will reduce the efficacy of the exercise.

Thank me later.

Regards

unrated

Reaction score
Buy some gymnastics rings and do dips on those, it is much more challenging because you engage all of your stabilizer muscles.

oneade

Reaction score
if you don't want to spend $$ on a dip belt, use a rope. you can only carry so much weight with your feet.. unless you're practising for a circus act, focus on the exercise.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneade
if you don't want to spend $$ on a dip belt, use a rope. you can only carry so much weight with your feet.. unless you're practising for a circus act, focus on the exercise.

Isnt this what I said? Just substitute chain with ropes.
At least give me credit! Sheesh!

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
Isnt this what I said? Just substitute chain with ropes.
At least give me credit! Sheesh!

No, it's not.

You said to buy a belt while oneade said that he can use a rope instead of spending the money. How is that the same thing?

Anyway, at the OP, when I used to dip very heavily in college (5x5s with 3x45 pound plates) and even with lighter weight I found a specialized dip belt to be a hell of a lot more comfortable than anything else which would end up cutting into my waist. I didn't use a weight belt otherwise so the investment was worth it to me because I'd use it for chin-ups as well. Dips were also my primary chest exercise as I didn't do any bench.

KhouriC

Reaction score
one thing people lose sight of when working out and gain some strength is the technique of the exercise. if you slow down the motion from top to bottom and back from bottom to top you will be amazed at how difficult the dip still is.

start from the top with your elbows not locked, never lock your elbows so that stress is always on the tricep, chest, and shoulders, and go down slowly and then slowly back up. this will immediately make for a better exercise. if you are still able to do 8-12, then add the weights.

to make this really killer do some push ups right after each set.

jc138

Reaction score
I've tried crossing my ankles, holding the weight between them, but you really need to have a rope or a belt to up the weight.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Anyway, at the OP, when I used to dip very heavily in college (5x5s with 3x45 pound plates) and even with lighter weight I found a specialized dip belt to be a hell of a lot more comfortable than anything else which would end up cutting into my waist. I didn't use a weight belt otherwise so the investment was worth it to me because I'd use it for chin-ups as well. Dips were also my primary chest exercise as I didn't do any bench.

I second the comfort issue. Even with a single 35 or 45 plate it manages to hurt, the belt is much more comfortable.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
with the belt, i am able to add 4 45lb plates with no discomfort. was a good purchase and worth evey penny.

kever

Reaction score
I am comfortable (wearing shorts below my knees) with up to a 65lb dumbbell held in between my legs right above my knee. I put it between my legs standing by squeezing my knees together, grabbed the dips handles, and as soon as I got off the ground, crossed my feet and bent my knees a bit. its not terribly uncomfortable if your shorts are in between your legs and the handle. Obviously a weight belt will be ideal, but that worked for me (up to a point).

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unrated
Buy some gymnastics rings and do dips on those, it is much more challenging because you engage all of your stabilizer muscles.

This actually sounds like a really good idea. I'm gonna try to hang some up tonight.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads