• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with diet

mizanation

Reaction score
almonds are good if they are no smoked. get raw almonds and lightly salt. you can eat a handful a day for great health benefits.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seoulfully
Wow this thread is extremely useful. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a not so terrible salty crunchy snack. I don't think pretzels would be the best. Maybe lightly salted almonds?
A lot of people like this http://www.kashi.com/ourfood/TLCSnac...s/Default.aspx. Pretzels are nothing but simple carb (think white bread). You can do a whole lot better (both nutritionally and taste-wise).

BrianSD: Seems to me that you have access to Costco; make sure to stock up on (old fashioned) Quaker Oats + canned tuna (or albacore/salmon for better taste) + chicken breast + eggs + whole wheat bread next time you go there. For specific recipes, check this forum http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13. Search, and ya shall find...

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gentleman.jpg

Once you get down to your desired weight, a corset is a big help. I always wear one.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Sorry. My goals are:

"¢ Eat less crappy processed junk food.
"¢ Gain 10 or so pounds of muscle (assuming this happens over a two month span, probably going to want an increase of maybe 500 calories per day)
"¢ Figure out foods I can bring to work that are not said processed junk food, but aren't really expensive either

Hi Brian:

As far as healty things to take to work, that are very easy to make:

I love to get some chicken broth (make your own by boiling some chicken backs and necks with some onions and celery) or just use canned, and cube some firm tofu and put it in there with a bit of soy sauce and chopped up bok choi. This makes a very healthy, low fat, high protein lunch or light dinner.

Something else that is nice is to take 3 cans of beans -- I like one of each: red beans, black and kidneys -- rinse and put in a big bowl. cut up some avocado, tomato, hard boiled eggs if you want, cilantro and hot peppers, say serranos if you like them, and put an oil and vinegar dressing on it and mix it up. it makes a great cold salad to eat at work. Take that and a peanut butter sandwhich on whole wheat and a bannana or apple and you have a nice lunch.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice all. I'm giving Stelios' salad a shot tonight. Those suggestions sound great Stu, gonna try those soon too.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
I love to get some chicken broth (make your own by boiling some chicken backs and necks with some onions and celery) or just use canned, and cube some firm tofu and put it in there with a bit of soy sauce and chopped up bok choi. This makes a very healthy, low fat, high protein lunch or light dinner.

chicken broth is a great thing to have in the kitchen.

another tip with chicken broth is after you make a batch, let it cool then pour it into ice cube trays. when it freezes, you will have these chicken broth cubes that keep a long time and are easy to use. just pop them into a pot or frypan and you have instant flavor. just don't use them to make smoothies. doesn't work too good.

i'm not too picky so i use powdered chicken broth. i get a big can from chinatown for cheap.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Something else that is nice is to take 3 cans of beans -- I like one of each: red beans, black and kidneys -- rinse and put in a big bowl. cut up some avocado, tomato, hard boiled eggs if you want, cilantro and hot peppers, say serranos if you like them, and put an oil and vinegar dressing on it and mix it up. it makes a great cold salad to eat at work. Take that and a peanut butter sandwhich on whole wheat and a bannana or apple and you have a nice lunch.

This sounds really good, actually. Serranos, avacados, cilantro.... I'm gonna have to try this.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
chicken broth is a great thing to have in the kitchen.

another tip with chicken broth is after you make a batch, let it cool then pour it into ice cube trays. when it freezes, you will have these chicken broth cubes that keep a long time and are easy to use. just pop them into a pot or frypan and you have instant flavor. just don't use them to make smoothies. doesn't work too good.

i'm not too picky so i use powdered chicken broth. i get a big can from chinatown for cheap.

EXCELLENT idea

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu

+ 1 for the bean salad. I also like adding chick peas to the mix.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
A very good cheap, high protein, non-processed junk food snack that I have been making lately is frozen peanut butter/banana balls. I noticed that a recipe for them is also mentioned in my latest issue of Men's Health as well.

Basically, you take a small jar of non-sweetened organic/natural chunky peanut butter, scoop into a bowl, mash in two bananas, add a couple tablespoons of flax seed, and a couple scoops of whey protein powder. After you mix them up, scoop them into walnut sized balls on a tray lined with parchment paper and pop them in the freezer. After they are frozen, put them into little ziploc baggies (two or three in each) or into a tupperware tub and keep them in the freezer.

The mixture does not freeze solid and is lovely and chewy. If you are trying to bulk up, healthy, high protein snacks like this are great. It is a great way to have something that isn't always fruit/raw nuts, but is still healthy when you are hungry and running out the door.

Alot of people are afraid of peanut butter when they are trying to get in shape because of its high calories per serving............they are wrong though!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...?articleid=332

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another high protein, low-fat snack are dry roasted edemame (soybeans). I always pick up a bag when I'm at Trader Joe's. Per 1/4 cup: 130 calories, 4 grams fat, 8 grams fiber, 2 grams net carbs, 14 grams protein.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more quick healthy thing... I don't remember if it is Lebanese or Jordanian... can of garbanzo beans. Drain it. Get yoghurt and crush some garlic. Mix together, lightly toast some pittes and scoop it up with pieces of the pitta.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
One more quick healthy thing... I don't remember if it is Lebanese or Jordanian... can of garbanzo beans. Drain it. Get yoghurt and crush some garlic. Mix together, lightly toast some pittes and scoop it up with pieces of the pitta.

Sounds like a variation of hummus - delicious and nutritious.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian, I think the problem you're having is pretty common in America. The american diet SUCKS and if you try to eat "healthy american food" it's going to suck as well, because it's so boring. You get sick of it too quickly and tend to just say *******, and go get a burger or pizza.

What I'm trying to do is eat a primarily japanese diet. It's easy for me, because I love japanese food. It's also the healthiest diet in the world, as far as I know. It's high in protein, good fats, carbs, vitamins and minerals. I love it. And it's flexible, if you want to gain muscle just increase your caloric intake. For maintenace levels ease off a bit.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
Brian, I think the problem you're having is pretty common in America. The american diet SUCKS and if you try to eat "healthy american food" it's going to suck as well, because it's so boring. You get sick of it too quickly and tend to just say *******, and go get a burger or pizza.

What I'm trying to do is eat a primarily japanese diet. It's easy for me, because I love japanese food. It's also the healthiest diet in the world, as far as I know. It's high in protein, good fats, carbs, vitamins and minerals. I love it. And it's flexible, if you want to gain muscle just increase your caloric intake. For maintenace levels ease off a bit.

Japanese diets are nice, just watch your mercury levels...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics