• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Crockett

jjgold

Reaction score
I was just in London...tried on all the major shoe makers. I was wondering about the Crockett and Jones Shoe. What is the difference between their top of the line handmade (thats it right?) and the model underneath them. it seems like a difference of 50 pounds at the store. Other than the different soles I could not really tell the difference. Thanks for the help.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slightly better leather, different lasts, and a channelled sole. generally, the handgrades will look much more sleeker than the benchgrades (although the 348 last is a benchgrade last and is very sleek). beyond that, no functional difference (although the uppers might last longer).

jjgold

Reaction score
Thanks Novaguy...hey if you don't mind what then is the difference between the Green and the Handgrade?

Thanks

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
btw - the difference between handgrade and benchgrade should about 100 GBP, so one of those shoes is either a special (shell cordovan leather, etc), or there is a sale involved.

pediwear has the calf handgrades going for 335-345 gpb, more or less, and the calf benchgrades going for 230-245 gbp. (looking just at the basic styles).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjgold
Thanks Novaguy...hey if you don't mind what then is the difference between the Green and the Handgrade?

Thanks

the green?

Do you mean Edward Green? or something else?

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
slightly better leather, different lasts, and a channelled sole. generally, the handgrades will look much more sleeker than the benchgrades (although the 348 last is a benchgrade last and is very sleek). beyond that, no functional difference (although the uppers might last longer).

The HG have full leather linings (which is a functiondal difference - I think) and the corner is nicked off the heal (which is not).

I was told that the HG take a bunch more time to make than the BG - but I forget the details.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rajesh06
The HG have full leather linings (which is a functiondal difference - I think) and the corner is nicked off the heal (which is not).

I was told that the HG take a bunch more time to make than the BG - but I forget the details.

Actually the corner nicked off helps prevent pulling the heel apart by hooking the sharp corner on something (like a stair tread).

Aren't EGs pretty much on par with the Handgrade CJs?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or catching on clothes.

EGs are noticeably better than handgrades. The gap between the two is greater than that between hand and benchgrades IMO.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Or catching on clothes.

EGs are noticeably better than handgrades. The gap between the two is greater than that between hand and benchgrades IMO.

What are the points of difference? Having never closely examined a C&J shoe I have no reference here.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Or catching on clothes.

I was watching a travel/quiz show a few months ago. The television personality visited Salvatore Ferragamo in Italy.

One of the quiz questions was "Why is the nick taken out of the heel?" The "answer" was that Westerners used to put their shoes on before they put their trousers on, and when they did so, the sharp part of the heel would become caught on the inside of the trouser leg. Making the nick meant that the wearer could slip his trousers on over his shoes with greater ease.

I normally trust very little I see on Japanese television.

Bic

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
I was watching a travel/quiz show a few months ago. The television personality visited Salvatore Ferragamo in Italy.

One of the quiz questions was "Why is the nick taken out of the heel?" The "answer" was that Westerners used to put their shoes on before they put their trousers on, and when they did so, the sharp part of the heel would become caught on the inside of the trouser leg. Making the nick meant that the wearer could slip his trousers on over his shoes with greater ease.

I normally trust very little I see on Japanese television.

Bic

How bizzare. It is however, a very Japanese solution to something rather Western.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads