• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with clothing for my wedding

travis157

Reaction score
I am having a wedding in late November with the indoor ceremony starting at 6pm and a reception following. From what I understand, about 5:30pm will be sunset time on that day (with dusk ending just before 6pm), so it would be an evening ceremony. The bride will be wearing a very nice dress (but not ball gown style) and I want to look appropriately good.

I was initially thinking of wearing a tuxedo, but both the bride and the wedding planner think that I might look better in a suit (although they say I can wear a tuxedo if I would prefer). This might be nice as I could probably justify buying a tailored suit while I'd probably end up renting a tux, which would probably end up not fitting as well. I'm not sure if a suit would be acceptable given the time of the ceremony, especially considering how many people even choose to wear tuxedos during the day (yes, a faux pas, I know). So my question #1 is would a suit be just as acceptable for me to wear at my wedding?

Question #2 is, if so, what color? I've always thought of black as the most formal, but this site seems to indicate that black suits are frowned upon by those in the know (and would have less reuse). I could go for navy, gray, or midnight-blue, but I'm afraid of not looking nice and formal enough! So if I go the suit route, how do I make it look really good (and possibly reusable for other occasions)?

Additional info that may be relevant for type of dress or color:

I'm about 5'8, and slender (but not frail), and not very tan.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good luck and welcome

-LR

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1) Ignore your planner.

Where will the wedding be held? Is it traditional, modern or rented "big box" style hall? (as well as reception.)

What is your nationality? You might want to stress is in your dress somehow.

I've married grooms in tweed, in full highland dress, in navy suits and in 1970's leisure suits. You can wear whatever you like... to a degree. It is YOUR day after all.

travis157

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have no intention of blindly following my planner, but I figured it was worth considering her opinion of what might look good.

I am American, and the wedding is being held in the southeastern United States in a fairly modern space on the top floor of a building in a city.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to avoid a tux, I would think a navy or midnight blue three-piece suit might be the way to go; the vest will give it extra oomph and keep you from looking like a banker. Be sure to dress it up with French cuffs and a solid tie-silver might be a good choice.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by travis157
So my question #1 is would a suit be just as acceptable for me to wear at my wedding?

Question #2 is, if so, what color??

Yes, a suit would be perfectly acceptable. Either navy or charcoal grey for the right level of formality. Obviously no pin-stripes or anything business-like. And with black cap-toe shoes.

arc

Reaction score
Solid navy blue double breasted would be fantastic and quite traditional from what I recall. If you're not into DBs, +1 on the navy 3 piece. Queue the 20s-30s era sketches. Pair with a wedding tie (usually a black/gray/white houndstooth, glenplaid, paisley, shepherd check, etc) and white shirt.

Black balmoral captoes (I'd go non-perf) as the above poster said are good. I'd avoid patent leather since it looks out of place without a full on dinner suit.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
Solid navy blue double breasted would be fantastic and quite traditional from what I recall. If you're not into DBs, +1 on the navy 3 piece. Queue the 20s-30s era sketches. Pair with a wedding tie (usually a black/gray/white houndstooth, glenplaid, paisley, shepherd check, etc) and white shirt.

I like the "wedding" tie for daytime, and a solid for evening.

travis157

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies, this is helpful although I'm still undecided about tuxedo vs black (or midnight blue) suit vs solid dark (navy or charcoal grey) suit. I'm worried that a non-black suit will not look formal enough next to my bride, but I think I'm going to talk to the tailor and look at some fabrics or examples and see if I still feel this way. If it's a suit, it'll definitely be a 3-piece with a peaked lapel, black cap-toe shoes, french cuffs. Decisions, decisions
musicboohoo[1].gif

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by travis157
Thanks for all of the replies, this is helpful although I'm still undecided about tuxedo vs black (or midnight blue) suit vs solid dark (navy or charcoal grey) suit.

I'm worried that a non-black suit will not look formal enough next to my bride, but I think I'm going to talk to the tailor and look at some fabrics or examples and see if I still feel this way.

If you accessorize it with the right tie and French cuffs it will be perfectly formal (considering your bride-to-be is not going ultra-formal) and will be more usable in the future than a black suit.

LRMD

Reaction score
I got some helpful advice here regarding what to wear for my wedding.

I wore a navy Benjamin suit, Brooks Brothers white french cuff shirt with Kent Wang MOP cuff links, Tom Ford houndstooth tie, AE Park Avenue black shoes, Pakeman Catto and Carter gray waistcoat.

There are probably a few things people on here would nitpick, but overall I was happy.

Here are a couple pics:

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a great look...you got a suit that will have post-wedding use yet you accessorized it in a way that really made it work for a wedding. Nice work!

travis157

Reaction score
I agree. LRMD's suit is great! If I can pull off something that looks like that, I'll be happy.

Rick's Tailoring

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I may be the only one who thinks this, but wear a tux. Yes a nice one is expensive, but you should be able to find something in the 500-600 range. Its your wedding not a job interview, and its in the evening. I would be more flexible if it was day time, but a formal evening event, that you are basically the host of, you should be in a tux. just my 2 cents

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads