• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help with choosing a leather jacket...specific questions

MuyJingo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to buy a new leather jacket, and as I plan to put down a lot of money, I was hoping for some suggetsions/advice.

I've done a fair bit of research, but just wanted clarification on some things.

The type of jacket I'm looking for is just a classic sort of look. Not a flight jacket, not an indianna jones jacket, not a racer jacket etc..

Something similar to this jacket.

I've been reading a bit about the different sorts of hides. I want something that will last at least 10 years if possible, and if I look after it.

I don't want something that is fragile and that I have to have a panic attack if it gets rained or snowed on. Something that can take a bit of damage and is durable, but still looks fashionable in a restaurant or club or business setting. Is Goat or calfskin perhaps the best compromise in this situation?

Perhaps most importantly, I would appreciate a list of shops whose wares I can purchase. My budget is about $600.

After scouring through threads on these forums I've looked at the following retailers:

• Lost World (too expensive)
  • Vansen
  • Schott
  • US Wing
  • Aero
  • Coronado

Extra info: I like good quality pockets for my hands, deep inside jacket pockets, no breast pocket, and a zipper instead of buttons.

If possible I'd like it to be just slightly longer than average...not mid length...but slightly longer than an average jacket.

Can anyone recommend some additional retailers that might have something up my alley?

Thank you very much. This is a big purchase for me, so I want to make sure I make it right.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

MuyJingo

Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

I did see that jacket early on but it's just too plain for my tastes.

I definitely don't want lambskin....I suspect it's what my last jacket was and it just didn't last

I've been looking at the 662 from Schott

But I'm still looking and doing some research. What are your thoughts on the 662?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 111 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 101 30.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.8%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%