• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with C&J sizing (last 348)

metkirk

Reaction score
Ok after looking at countless of threads on C&J sizing I still have no clue what size to order. The model I'm interested in is Hallam Beechnut, my US size is around 7.5/8D (Ralph Lauren). I'm looking for a size that corresponds to a length of 11 to 11.25 inch and a width around 4inch. Anything longer than 11.25 makes my feet look clownish. Does the inner width of the shoes have to be at least the size of my feet's width (4 inch)? Or is it ok for it to be a little smaller? What size should I go for? Hallam comes in E and F fitting if that helps. Thanks.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think your feet are 10 inches wide.

emptym

Reaction score
Good Q. I'm interested in the Highbury, but am a bit afraid that the last may be too "sleek" or elongated.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get measured on the brannock. Once you have your US size, convert to UK size by subtracting 1

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1 Get your feet properly measured. What's this use of `7.5/8D (Ralph Lauren)`as a reference? I thought the benchmark for sizing was AE Park Aves!
lol8[1].gif
If you're a US D width, I'd suggest taking your US D width size minus 1 = C&J UK size in E width for the 348.

example: US9D = UK8E C&J 348 last

Works for me.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't use any other shoe as the benchmark. Use the brannock. Go to nordstroms and do it yourself if you are cheap.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the OP, I was kidding as far as using Park Aves as a benchmark. The Brannock device is by far the most reliable and accurate way to determine size.

p.s. Tarmac, I'm actually amazed how often AE PAs are used as a reference on MC; same thing with Nikes over on SW&D!

jsherman02

Reaction score
^ what wes said.

The 348 fits me perfect. I am a US 9, and ordered them in a UK 8.

txeconomist

Reaction score
Now I am worried. I wear a US 10D-10E and I just ordered the Connaught in a 9.5E. Will this be too big?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know for sure since I have no experience with the 236 last on which the Connaught is made. But if a 1 size conversion also applies, you might be better served with a UK9E if you're a US10D. Otherwise, if you're closer to a US10E, a UK9F in the Connaught could be better; the 236 is available in UK E or F width.

http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/oxfords-connaugh.html

Siggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by txeconomist
Now I am worried. I wear a US 10D-10E and I just ordered the Connaught in a 9.5E. Will this be too big?

Most likely.

I wear a 10D US and a 8.5E UK with C&J, but depends on the last etc...

txeconomist

Reaction score
Very dissapointing. I was told by the people at PLAL that generally for UK sizing to go down a full size but with C&J to go down a half size. We'll see.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by txeconomist
Very dissapointing. I was told by the people at PLAL that generally for UK sizing to go down a full size but with C&J to go down a half size. We'll see.

Assuming the following conditions:

One pair of bench with c&j shoe trees
Not using the price match option at Pediwear
Living in US

With the shipping and insurance extras at plal, the total cost would be about the same as ordering from pediwear/bodiley's with free shipping. Is there any real advantage of ordering at plal rather than pediwear and other UK online stores? I understand handgrade is a different matter...

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of shoes on the 348: the Drummond and the Tetbury. The Drummond is one full size smaller than my typical U.S. size. The Tetbury is a half size down. They both fit reasonably well; although, neither is perfect. I was able to try both on before purchasing, which was helpful, and is obviously the preferred way to purchase. When I was trying them on, these sizes just happened to be the best fits for me. The Tetbury is a boot, for what it's worth. I hope I just confused you even more. There's no perfect answer to your question. Everybody's feet just fit different lasts differently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads