• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with buying my first decent suit

boosims

Reaction score
My upper limit I can spend currently for a suit would be $1,000. I would prefer to spend around $700 so I am able to have more money spend on other things such as shoes socks ties and shirts but even if I spend $1,000 I will have enough money to get most of those things. I can save up for like a $1,200 or a little more than that if it would make the suit that much better but as I am just entering college I didn’t know if I actually needed a suit of that quality.

cvb1

Reaction score
My upper limit I can spend currently for a suit would be $1,000. I would prefer to spend around $700 so I am able to have more money spend on other things such as shoes socks ties and shirts but even if I spend $1,000 I will have enough money to get most of those things. I can save up for like a $1,200 or a little more than that if it would make the suit that much better but as I am just entering college I didn’t know if I actually needed a suit of that quality.
I really don't think you'll be using a suit that much in college. Atleast not if it's anything like swedish universitys. I'd say go for a cheaper indochino or OTR SuSu. I'd probably go for a mid to light gray, as the pants will work great by themselves.

compuccesory

Reaction score
I really don't think you'll be using a suit that much in college. Atleast not if it's anything like swedish universitys. I'd say go for a cheaper indochino or OTR SuSu. I'd probably go for a mid to light gray, as the pants will work great by themselves.

Yeah, I think that's a good baseline. You can get plenty of suits for $80 too. I really wouldn't, because at that price level the suits will have polyester linings, low armholes, and fully fused to the point where they are actually uncomfortable to wear Above everything else, you don't want to be uncomfortable because everyone will notice that immediately and see that you're really just a kid wearing a Halloween costume and not a person wearing regular clothes, while the vast majority of people will never notice how fine the wool is or whether the jacket is full canvas or whatever.

boosims

Reaction score
I understand that I won’t technically actually need a nice suit but I would like to have one. My college was covered with scholarships and the also have me some money back and I will be getting a work study to make a little more money. I just wanted one because I like wearing suits and I have always wanted a nice one and there will by my first chance to get one. Also I felt like it would slightly benefit me to have one for such things as interviews for internships because I will be trying to get some competitive once’s so the little next edge in dressing nice wouldn’t hurt.

Ben W

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't take on a 5 hour drive for such a project. If you are concerned about the quality Indochino might deliver you may want to look for a local tailor who can offer MTM service. Maybe ask one of your professors who is well dressed where they get their suits.

leftync

Reaction score
I’d advise you to check out local Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. I’m an older guys whose work never really required a particularly elegant wardrobe (newspapers and academia). I always needed one or two suits, and would look for sales Or occasionally find something at a Marshals’s or Ross. But a friend showed me a gorgeous Brooks Brothers jacket he got for $10, and I’ve found equally good or better buys, and in like new, or actually new condition. Tailoring is usually necessary—I go to a better men’s store rather than a dry cleaner— but the overall cost is very low and the quality can be quite good. This way you have more to spend in shoes, or something you might not want to get used.

Bushum

Reaction score
I am not sure if my approach is frowned upon here but I would like to share my experience buying suits. I have now purchased three used suits from eBay. The first was a three piece bespoke L&K. The second was a three piece Canali and the third was a three piece Canali Exclusive. I have just under $1000 total invested in all three including tailoring. They are all fully canvassed, in perfect condition and look brand new. The trick is to know all of your measurements exactly. Any good re-seller will also have accurate measurements of all of the important parts. All it takes is patience to find a suit that has your exact measurements. If any measurement isn't exact just make sure it is something that can be tailored without costing a fortune e.g. sleeve length, pants inseam or waist. So far I am extremely happy with my used suit experience and it's very gratifying finding a great deal on a perfect suit.

Last edited:

Ben W

Reaction score
You can definitely find great deals if you know exactly what you are looking for and are patient. To me it didn't sound like the OP knew his measurements or exactly what he needed / wanted. I think going to a shop that can measure him, guide him in the right direction, and spot/correct any fit issues (and offer a full remake if way off) would be beneficial, particularly for a first suit. Even though I am more experienced now I'd still be nervous buying a garment I can't try on or return.

I made the mistake of buying my first suit from Mens Wearhouse. While their staff were friendly they weren't knowledgeable about fit or classic menswear. It wasn't terribly expensive, and to my inexperienced eyes it didn't fit "too bad." Even after investing in significant alterations it still does not fit or look good. It hangs in the closet as a reminder of what not to do. I'll never wear it.

Now of course there are some folks that a suit off the rack will fit pretty well with minor alterations. I am not one of those people, and learned that lesson the expensive way. Would've been much better off starting with MTM/bespoke.

Ben W

Reaction score
It would be nice if you two would disclose in your posts that you work for the places you're advertising. Also, I wouldn't recommend black for a first suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads