Help with authenticating Z Zegna suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vicious22, Nov 20, 2009.

1. vicious22

vicious22 Member

2. u4412987

u4412987 Well-Known Member

To me, at this sort of price, it should be more than 50% wool. but actually need to go for 100% wool from Zegna.

3. laughwithm3

laughwithm3 Senior member

looks authenticate, the seller accepts returns btw

4. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

The ad claims size 48 but the pants are labeled 36? No drop or size on the jacket internal label. Seems strange to me.

5. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

Hey guys, can anyone help authenticate this suit? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT I was silly enough to buy it even tho it was 70% polyester do z zegna use polyester? thanks in advance guys
    Hi, my information may be a little out of date (as Zegna may have changed their branding), so please take what I say with a hint of caution. I am a little suspicious of the suit. There are a number of things that worry me. [​IMG] The tag doesn't look "right" to me. It's not using the typeface that I'm used to with Zegna and the layout is a little off. I only own 1 Z-Zegna jacket, but I've never known a Zegna formal jacket to have the fabric tag in the any place other than the inside left or right pocket. This tag is at the bottom (which would alert me). [​IMG] The inner stitching of the jacket is another concern. Back in the day, I purchased some "geninue Armani" suits which looked like this. I had the presence of mind to have them authenticated and I got my money back. The material breakdown was around 80% wool and 20% polyester, so that rings a warning bell in my head. Another obvious question is the fact that the trousers and jacket have a size tag. I don't recall ever seeing a size tag on Zegna suits (as the size is on the fabric tag). All I can recommend is to see whether you can get a picture of a Zegna fabric tag (easy to find on the bay). Unless Zegna has changed, Z-Zegna and E. Zegna use the same layout and style for their fabric tags. You can also find a Zegna Boutique and enquire there. Or perhaps a telephone call to them with questions about serial numbers may help. To conclude, unless Z-Zegna has changed several areas of their branding (away from E. Zegna), then I would be 90% certain that this isn't authentic. For reference, I own no less than 15 pieces (suits and jackets) from E. Zegna and one jacket from Z - Zegna. You may want to have a look at this for some reference. I hope this helps Clint

6. vicious22

vicious22 Member

well guys the seller is claiming the suit is authentic and wont refund the money.

the tag on the lower pocket is not made of fabric it is made of a plastic type of material

laugh with m3 how do u know it is authentic?

thanks guys

7. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

No the tag isn't made out of fabric, it describes the fabric. At the end of the day you can locate a Zegna stockist and ask them. If he does not offer a refund, then you will have to take it up with eBay/Paypal/Credit Card Company (if applicable). Again, don't just take my word for it. However, my gut feeling is still that the suit is fake. Here's an example of what I feel to be authentic. http://cgi.ebay.com/Z-ZEGNA-MENS-JAC...item1e591c02d0 Cheers Clint
    well guys the seller is claiming the suit is authentic and wont refund the money. the tag on the lower pocket is not made of fabric it is made of a plastic type of material laugh with m3 how do u know it is authentic? thanks guys

8. Niels

Niels Well-Known Member

The tag looks rigth to me. i own a Z Zegna jacket. Why fake a Z Zegna since it is the cheap line of Zegna.

9. vicious22

vicious22 Member

thanks niels and clint and others for the advice

its much appreciated.

10. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I thought all Z was made in Mexico?

11. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

There are more things wrong than right about this suit. Other than that which was already mentioned (tags, COO, labeling), the waistband curtain is wrong, the belt loops are wrong (too wide), the back jets are wrong (cut on the bias), the interior pocket jets are wrong (should be a 3/8" satin welt) the laser cut on the buttons is wrong and painted GOLD (!?) there are button stays on the coat which are wrong, there is RAINBOW SADDLE STITCHING!!. And then again, it's polyester....

12. Outlet_cherry_picker

Outlet_cherry_picker Well-Known Member

by the form of the lapel it seems to me that it is not authentic

13. Guero

Guero Senior member

I thought all Z was made in Mexico?

+1, my understanding as well.

14. vicious22

vicious22 Member

geez, getting a worse and worse feeling about this suit now.

15. oaw01

oaw01 Senior member

I think it's fake. The only Z Zegnas I've seen are made in Mexico - bloomingdales, saks, neimans, and the zegna outlet. In addition, it's all wool. Shit, even cheap ass Theory doesn't have poly