• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with an Ebay Purchase Please

tancredi

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I write in the hope that one or a few of you might take a few moments to help a beginner with some beginner questions. I recently purchased and have just now received two suits from a single seller on ebay. These are my first ebay suits. I paid less than 100 dollars for each of them. Both were expressely identified as used, but in excellent condition etc.. One purports to be a Burberry suit and the other a Hart, Shaffner and Marx suit. I find myself, however, with some doubts as to the authenticity of the suits. For starters, neither feels particularly impressive. I have a two hundred dollar suit, and two six hundred dollar suits, and these two feel much closer to the former than the latter. Now, I am well aware that most of you wear much much nicer suits than either of these, but I was hoping to solicit some advice as to what might I look for in order to know for sure? How ought I to proceed (the seller is explicit in not accepting returns)? Of course I can post photos should it facilitate matters.
Many thanks,
Tancredi

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apart from the 'quality', what makes you think that the suits are not authentic? Has someone else mentioned this in the seller's feedback.

I would think that these brands aren't really popular with counterfeiters but if you post up the auction details perhaps we can give you more advice.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Photos always help. I would doubt that the HSM suit is fake as there is no big market for used HSM suits. The Burberry, since it is a "luxury" brand name, could theoretically be fake but don't base that assesment on the shoddy workmanship/materials. Burberry's has made a lot of crap suits. HSM was/is a lower to mid suit maker. If either of these suits has some age to them, what you are seeing is simply the effects of aging and wearing on a cheap suit.

All that being said, it is not beyond the realm of belief that someone took two Mens Warehouse suits and slapped BUrberry and HSM tags. Pictures would help.

tancredi

Reaction score
Well it is a kind of sour relief to hear that the suits are probably just crappy. But thank you gentlemen. Here are some photos of the Burberry.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a fine suit but without pics of the label and fabric tags, it's hard to assess authenticity.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Burberry looks authentic but a bit tired...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but it looks legit to me. And a nice looking suit too; what is wrong with it that you suspect it's fake?

trogdor

Reaction score
Judging by the label, it's quite an old Burberry. Someone here will know when they went from being called "Burberrys" to "Burberry," but it's probably at least a decade.

Do you have any pictures of the fabric labels (possibly found inside the inside jacket pockets)?

FWIW, I quite like the windowpane. If it fits OK, (or can be altered to fit OK), you probably did just fine to get it for under $100.

tancredi

Reaction score
The coarseness of the material -- which I suppose could be wear, but doesn't really feel like wear -- the fact that the windowpaning (forgive that one) doesn't match up across seams, the overall finish seems less than I might have expected.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tancredi
The coarseness of the material -- which I suppose could be wear, but doesn't really feel like wear -- the fact that the windowpaning (forgive that one) doesn't match up across seams, the overall finish seems less than I might have expected.

Perhaps your expectations were too high, and I can't comment on the fabric, but you won't find pattern-matching on a $600 windowpane suit either.

tancredi

Reaction score
Thanks much for your help and advice! I must say this forum is really a tremendous resource.

creat3cp

Reaction score
You can always ask the sellers questions until you are happy before buying. Read comment of other people who buy from him. eBay does not allow the selling of fake goods online. If you do found one, you can report his/her id and eBay will kick the seller out forever.

my 2cents..

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by creat3cp
eBay does not allow the selling of fake goods online. If you do found one, you can report his/her id and eBay will kick the seller out forever.

my 2cents..

Oh Really! That's not been my experience or lots of other SF members. In my experience Ebay will do nothing about counterfeits, unless there are an extremely large # of complaints, with explicit proof. And even then, they will many times delay or do nothing!

Ebay is by far the largest marketplace in the world for counterfeit goods, and Ebay is well aware of this. Their attitude and rationale is that "Ebay is a marketplace that should be regulated by the market, i.e. the buyers and sellers!"

The one sure way that an Ebay seller will be suspended is if the seller's account is in arrears and they owe Ebay money!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads