• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with an ad  "tag" line...

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

Need some help knowing if this tag line would get someone's attention...

I am running a banner ad on a legal informational website for Ties and dress clothing that I think would appeal to the professionals that have to dress in suits and ties and have to look good at work . (although I am told by my Lawyer brother in law that Business/casual is all the rage in many firms nowaday )  I was wondering if a banner with the following tag line would grab the attention of someone browsing on a site.

"Dress Like a Partner, Pay like a Paralegal"  

The ad is a .gif banner which is one of those annoying blinking ads (I would love to avoid that but there isnt enough room on the ad without it) and on the blinking part of it, listing some categories available on my site (ties, etc...) my web address and two small pix and click through to my home page.

So the question is...

Would that get your attention and would you be inclined to click on something like that?

I find that advertising is such hit and miss and I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

JJF

PS:  I didnt post the ad for fear of sounding like I was actually advertising the site up here which is not the place.  if anyone wants to see it I will email it to them if they are emailable...

DandySF

Reaction score
The emphasis seems to be on cost, not the allure of a stunning tie. It also is narrowly focused on the legal field. You might generate some stray clicks, but I personally would not respond to it. I'd think something broader would be more effective.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The emphasis seems to be on cost, not the allure of a stunning tie.  It also is narrowly focused on the legal field.   You might generate some stray clicks, but I personally would not respond to it.  I'd think something broader would be more effective.
First of all thanks for the feedback.

To deal with the cost/stunning tie issue, thats why I mention the "Dressing like a partner"...ostensibly partners dress in more higher end clothing as their budgets allow.

As far as the it only addressing the legal field...Well its on a legal information website and I guess Doctors wouldnt be on there...

MikeF

Reaction score
When you say "pay like a paralegal", I take that to mean "pay in the way in which a paralegal would pay" rather than "pay that which a paralegal would pay". That's problematic, since I assume you are trying to get across the latter meaning. Also: I can't put my finger on it, but I feel that the slogan is disparaging of paralegals (or at least class-ist). It rubs me the wrong way. There's got to be a better way to get me to buy a tie than to tell me that even my lowly paralegal could afford it.

agent.5

Reaction score
You will be surprised how many associates hate the partners.

coatandthai

Reaction score
I'd tighten it up a bit. Â Maybe "Partner style at a paralegal price" or "Partner looks, de minimus prices" or how about "Barrister looks at associate prices."

MikeF

Reaction score
I like "Partner looks at associate prices" - less disparaging, more crisp, etc.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I happen to like "Partner looks, de minimus prices" for the legalese sound that it invokes, but as a layman I couldnt bring myself to do it Â
smile.gif
. What I have taken from the feedback is that I should push the product and not the price...My only problem is that many high priced individuals (i.e. Partners) wont look at a tie unless they pay 200+ for it, so essentially I am looking for those to whom price matters but I guess you are right...I shouldnt be dissing anyone in marketing the site and should focus on the product's strengths alone. OK... How about "Dress like you own the Firm" or something along those lines?

BGW

Reaction score
Can you explain in a sentence or less *why* you are able to charge less for high quality merchandise?

If so, I suggest using that as your tag line.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you explain in a sentence or less *why* you are able to charge less for high quality merchandise? If so, I suggest using that as your tag line.
I think that there are two very distinct buyers of clothing when we talk about the masses (and I dont mean the real connoisseurs who know a quality product when they see it but I mean those that insist on buying a Zegna cause it says" Zegna") and I will give you an example about what I mean. My children's clothing store carries a really high end brand that outsources some of their boys suits production to a small company in Southern Italy. We also happen to buy from that small company as well, and the suits costs HALF of what they do when they sport the brand name. I have a customer that thoguht she was holding a Higher end suit and then dropped it like a hot rock when she real;ised that it was the lower end one. She insisted on spending the additional 50%. I cant deal with TRYING to persuade those kinds that the product is superior because I cannot sell a Zegna name. I dont have it. However I am trying to sell my product to those that judge a product based on its looks, feel and quality of silk and contruction and that I can offer. can I put that in one sentance or less. Not unless its a really long runon sentance
biggrin.gif
. Thanks again and enjoy the weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads