• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Allen Edmonds Strands size

krucacing

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post.

I have AE Mctavish which is my first good shoes. Size is 10.5d tan color.

I need help on what size to get for AE Strands. Maybe anyone with both shoes can help?

AE customer svc told me to get an 11D, but i was thinking should i get 10.5e, or even 10eee since i still have space on the toe area. I cant try the shoes as i live in Singapore.

front_zps2b01fc4d.jpg

Where my finger points is the end of my big toe. There is some space in the toe area

side_zps76d37fdc.jpg

There is some gap on the heel area which cause minor heel slip which i hope will get better as the sole broke in

Thanks in advance

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Although there's nothing like being able to try them on at a store. I take a 9 1/2 D in most shoes, and my R foot measures 9 1/2 -- L- 9 ( heavy ). 2 years ago I tried on walnut 5 th Ave's both 9 and 9 1/2 D's at an AE store. The 9 D's were the best fit as they are in the 5 last ( long narrow last ). I have since bought a pair of black 5 th Ave's and a pair of walnut Strands ( also in 5 last ), all in 9 D. And they all fit the same, and just right. I also have a pair of Mayfairs being made right now ( 9 D also 5 last ), that I tried on at AE store. Since the Mctavish and Strands are both in same 5 last, the fit sould be same, so you can judge from your present Mctavish fit.

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
It doesn't matter where your toe is (to a point) what matters is the width at the ball of the foot and whether your heel slips or not.

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
Based on where your finger is, as long as the shoe isn't too loose in the width and your heel is cupped and doesn't slip, it's the right size and you should get the same in the strand.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though they are on the same last, the McTavish is made out of a different leather that does not fit as closely to the last. I own both. I am a 9E in the McTavish and a 9.5E in the Strand (and all other 5-last calf shoes).

krucacing

Reaction score

Even though they are on the same last, the McTavish is made out of a different leather that does not fit as closely to the last. I own both. I am a 9E in the McTavish and a 9.5E in the Strand (and all other 5-last calf shoes).

Thanks all for replying.

Thats the dillema, the width of this shoes is perfect, the ball of my foot is at the widest point of the shoe,there is just minor amount of heel slip when i am stationery which makes me think it is just a bit long.

Do you feel the width is really the same between 9e and 9.5e?

I am thinking maybe a 10eee or 10.5 e since the lacing on mine seems abit wide compared to photos on the web

atoms

Reaction score
Thanks all for replying.
Thats the dillema, the width of this shoes is perfect, the ball of my foot is at the widest point of the shoe,there is just minor amount of heel slip when i am stationery which makes me think it is just a bit long.
I am thinking maybe a 10eee or 10.5 e since the lacing on mine seems abit wide compared to photos on the web
I own the same McTavish as yourself. I don't own any Strands but I've tried them on. I am definetely a 9D in Strands. My McTavish are also a 9D. The McTavish are double soled so they're going to be "stiffer" than the Strands. I could see possibly fitting in a 8.5D or a narrower 9 McTavish but it's a shoe I wear thicker socks with.

You said that customer service suggested half a size smaller. Based on my experiences, that makes sense to me. But then again looking at the looseness of your laces at the top of the shoe makes me think sticking with the same size might also be correct (my McTavishes close up almost all the way).

I'm sure I was completely unhelpful!

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for replying.
The Strand in 9.5E is pretty much the same width as the McTavish in 9E, at least it feels that way to me. The problem with the McTavish is that the labelled size is so off compared to everything Allen Edmonds makes due to the "rough" cowhide leather used instead of the more pliable calfskin on almost all of their other shoes. In my experience, and many others, check the Allen Edmonds thread, sizing down a half size from 5-last shoes for the McTavish seems to be the consensus. That means sizing up a half size when going from the McTavish to another 5-last shoe seems to be the right move.

pnin22

Reaction score
It's good to see this Made-in-USA product being coveted on the other side of the planet.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have 4 pair of AEs (Park ave, Strand, 2 Veronas) and I feel like all of them fit me well as 10.5 D

krucacing

Reaction score
Thanks all for th great input, i will keep a lookout on amazon when 10.5e is available. For now that size is only for park ave which i plan to get next year for my wedding day!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads