Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help with AE dress boot -- Dalton or 5th Street

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bc78, Oct 6, 2012.

1. bc78

bc78 Senior member

I'm looking to get a dress boot for the winter. I prefer the Dalton to the 5th street but I'm wondering if the Dalton (bottom photo) would look good with a suit. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Also, if anyone has any experience with either boot, or just has an opinion of which one to get, I'd appreciate your feedback.

I'm a lawyer, but my firm isn't very stuff, to give you some context. Also, I live in New York, so I'll do a bit of walking in them and would wear overshoes on really bad days.

2. gooter

gooter Senior member

I would get the Dalton and I would wear it with a suit. In fact, I will be getting the Dalton, and I will be wearing it with a suit.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

3. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Depends on how formal a setting you work in. The Fifth Street is a balmoral with perforated captoe which according to convention is more formal than the Dalton, which is deemed more casual because of the open (Blucher) lacing plus the wing tip design. Some would say if you are wearing a boot with worsted fabric suits to go with the balmoral. The Dalton would be appropriate for flannels and tweeds as well as odd jacket and trousers. Think country versus city.

That said, it really is up to you. If you would normally wear a shoe similar to the Dalton then get that boot.