• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help with a wrinkley jacket

Qubaduck

Reaction score
hey there all, i just recently recived a beautiful new sportcoat off ebay, but it's become quite crumpled in the mail and honestly i'm not sure what to do with it. I gather from past posts that people here generally aren't big fans of having jackets pressed, so i'm wondering what alternatives i have. I've tried the old "leave it in the bathroom with the shower running" trick, but it hasn't managed to take all the wrinkles out, and i don't own a steamer. What other options do i have? thanks in advance, eh?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Who told you that lie? I press my jackets, just very lightly.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I would take it to your dry cleaner and have him/her give it a good press. I think what you might have read in posts, is over cleaning your clothes can be detrimental to the longevity and luster of the fabric.. If your clothes are not visibly dirty or smelling bad, just simply have them pressed to bring them back into shape. Make sure though that your dry cleaner is a reputable one and understands fine quality clothing. I would highly recommend that you invest in a steamer, it is worth every penny.

Best Regards,

Gary

"VOTE" www.cbs4boston.com/alist

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A good tailor in your area may press it for you and probably much better than a cleaners. Cleaners usually don't press collars and the sleeve heads or roll lapels very well. While you are at the tailors he can give your jacket a look and make any nescesary adjustments. If he is altering your jacket, he wouldn't mind givng it a good press

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I do for jackets that may not have survived travel well - though I've never had one shipped in the mail like that, only carried them in suitcases - is first hang it for a day in the bathroom, which usually lets it steam through two showers. Then I take my steamer to it. I've never had a jacket that needed to go outside for pressing, which at any rate scares me because few drycleaners understand that lapels should be rolled and not pancake-flat.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40