• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a suit question/direction

Costa

Reaction score
Need to start updating my suits, and am looking to get the basic grey.

My question is pretty basic, do I head to BB for an 1818, or do I head to Nordstroms for a Hickery Freeman (link below)? I'm looking for something versatile, and I have a wedding in June that will be its first wear.

Here is the HF I was looking at in Nordstroms:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hickey-...-suit/3288117?origin=category&resultback=1647

This is my first created new thread, and as a lurker since 2008 (joined last year), I am much more of a reader here than a contributor, but finally had a question I figured the many knowledgeable members could help me with.

I will try and make this as efficient as possible by giving you my "vitals":

42 years old
6 feet 205 lbs
44 inch chest
35 in waist
VP of Operations and Engineering (but because I oversee manufacturing, and I am on the plant floor constantly, its very business casual. The CEO (my boss) is Mr Dockers defined). I will have some opportunities to wear this and a few more I will be picking up on a European trip in Sept., but it will not get worn on a daily basis during my work day.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Its not far from the truth to say that the people here have had a major, positive effect on me in the last two years (lost 55 lbs, complete 100% turnover of my wardrobe including shoes, picked up a mean running habit; comparing my running distances in the "how far have you run thread", etc.). One day I hope to add as much as I take away, but that is a long way off.

Again, thank you.

Regards,
Costa

zero neck

Reaction score
If it's going to be one of your only suits, you will probably get more use out of a darker, not sharkskin charcoal than the HF you posted.
Need to start updating my suits, and am looking to get the basic grey.

My question is pretty basic, do I head to BB for an 1818, or do I head to Nordstroms for a Hickery Freeman (link below)? I'm looking for something versatile, and I have a wedding in June that will be its first wear.

Here is the HF I was looking at in Nordstroms:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hickey-...-suit/3288117?origin=category&resultback=1647

This is my first created new thread, and as a lurker since 2008 (joined last year), I am much more of a reader here than a contributor, but finally had a question I figured the many knowledgeable members could help me with.

I will try and make this as efficient as possible by giving you my "vitals":

42 years old
6 feet 205 lbs
44 inch chest
35 in waist
VP of Operations and Engineering (but because I oversee manufacturing, and I am on the plant floor constantly, its very business casual. The CEO (my boss) is Mr Dockers defined). I will have some opportunities to wear this and a few more I will be picking up on a European trip in Sept., but it will not get worn on a daily basis during my work day.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Its not far from the truth to say that the people here have had a major, positive effect on me in the last two years (lost 55 lbs, complete 100% turnover of my wardrobe including shoes, picked up a mean running habit; comparing my running distances in the "how far have you run thread", etc.). One day I hope to add as much as I take away, but that is a long way off.

Again, thank you.

Regards,
Costa

BowtieBandit

Reaction score
The Hickey is probably a little bit nicer than the BB? But also more expensive. And a wool suit in June? I hope it's indoors.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I agree that the Hickey is defiantly nice than a BB 1818. That said I wouldn't spend $1500 on a HF suit, nor would I spend $1000 on a BB.

If this is going to be one of a few suits, go darker, the sharkskin is nice (I really like sharkskin), but it is a little less versatile.

Costa

Reaction score
If it's going to be one of your only suits, you will probably get more use out of a darker, not sharkskin charcoal than the HF you posted.

Great, thank you!

The Hickey is probably a little bit nicer than the BB? But also more expensive. And a wool suit in June? I hope it's indoors.

Good point, I was trying to get something that would work year round. I did not want to get something summery, as I'd like to use it more than just in summer.

I agree that the Hickey is defiantly nice than a BB 1818. That said I wouldn't spend $1500 on a HF suit, nor would I spend $1000 on a BB.
If this is going to be one of a few suits, go darker, the sharkskin is nice (I really like sharkskin), but it is a little less versatile.

Funny, its what drove me to HF, as I have read here that the 1818's are not worth full price. I thought HF would be more suit for the money, and I wanted to invest in a good suit that I could wear when needed (interviews, weddings, etc.) I need the suit by first week of June, and none of my old suits fit, so I may not hit a BB sale in time, so I thought maybe I'd invest in the HF. But I will go darker, thanks for the input.

I do have $200 worth of BB gift cards, maybe I will go in that direction.

jammyo40

Reaction score

I do have $200 worth of BB gift cards, maybe I will go in that direction.

You can get two 1818 suits for $1600 full price. BB has 25% off sales all throughout the year making that $1200. And with your $200 in gift cards, I would definitely go the BB route.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like this Hickey and I like the color and sharkskin cloth. Not every situation calls for a dark suit. This has some personality to it. You don't wear suits frequently and this may be dressy enough for your needs.
You have almost two months before June, get to know a Nordstrom sales person and see when they have sales. Probably memorial day if not before or just get this now.
Make sure the Hickey is a good fit for your body type and doesn't require much alteration. Get the suit from the maker you look and feel best in, regardless which brand or the cost. You want to enjoy wearing this suit.

Use the BB gift cards for shirts, ties or some other accessories.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I second everything Despos said. Go and try on suits from both makers, see which one you feel best in, and which one gives you the best silhouette. If the HF fits you and you like it, I wouldn't worry too much about a medium grey. It's not as if it's some crazy pattern. There are very few situations in which a mid-grey suit is inappropriate and not formal enough. Maybe court appearances and funerals. Based on what little I know of your industry, I think a mid grey would be fine for any professional situation, including job interviews.

BowtieBandit

Reaction score

I second everything Despos said. Go and try on suits from both makers, see which one you feel best in, and which one gives you the best silhouette. If the HF fits you and you like it, I wouldn't worry too much about a medium grey. It's not as if it's some crazy pattern. There are very few situations in which a mid-grey suit is inappropriate and not formal enough. Maybe court appearances and funerals. Based on what little I know of your industry, I think a mid grey would be fine for any professional situation, including job interviews.

I like this Hickey and I like the color and sharkskin cloth. Not every situation calls for a dark suit. This has some personality to it. You don't wear suits frequently and this may be dressy enough for your needs.
You have almost two months before June, get to know a Nordstrom sales person and see when they have sales. Probably memorial day if not before or just get this now.
Make sure the Hickey is a good fit for your body type and doesn't require much alteration. Get the suit from the maker you look and feel best in, regardless which brand or the cost. You want to enjoy wearing this suit.
Use the BB gift cards for shirts, ties or some other accessories.

Absolutely, the Hickey Freeman suit looks very nice, and it's better to be hot but happy in any suit than cool but miserable in any other.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Absolutely, the Hickey Freeman suit looks very nice, and it's better to be hot but happy in any suit than cool but miserable in any other.

All wool is not created equal and not all wool suits are hot. Wool breathes and wicks moisture better than most any other fiber.

BowtieBandit

Reaction score

All wool is not created equal and not all wool suits are hot. Wool breathes and wicks moisture better than most any other fiber.

:bored: True. And it's made from shark wool, which wicks away moisture because of the ocean.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

:bored: True. And it's made from shark wool, which wicks away moisture because of the ocean.

So what type of suits/cloth do you wear in the heat of summer?

BowtieBandit

Reaction score

So what type of suits/cloth do you wear in the heat of summer?

I live in Georgia. I wear cotton and seersucker which both would be fine for most, non black-tie/outdoor, weddings.

That shark wool comment was supposed to be a joke and I agree with you about wool.

Also, if the jacket is fully-lined with a fabric that doesn't breathe like silk, that would probably make the biggest difference in heat retention right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads